Nitrous from the `Stang? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nitrous from the `Stang?

I have an Edelbrock dry nitrous kit(75hp) that was on my Mustang before supercharging it and I want to install it on the Exploder!! My question is this, would it work with the factory non-return fuel system. Everything looks like it would work, only minor modification I think it needs it an elbow coming off the scrader valve on the fuel rail for the safety switch. Buying a 4.0 specific nitrous kit is not out of the question though, whatcha` think¿:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dunno if you can expect the computer to handle the quick decisions to really up the fuel that much when you hit the nitrous. With a totally dry shot, you'll fry your motor.

Suggestions please!!! You seem to speak from experience!!;)

i wouldnt do it.... nitrous takes a lot of time and effort to fit onto a non performance vehicle..... a musstang engine is not the same as an explorer engine, no matter how SIMILAR they may be....

to make a dry kit work you'll need a custom computer 'flip' chip. this is a chip with a normal setting and a nitrous setting. you'll set the nitrous setting to retard timing and add fuel so you don't fry the motor.

Thats no problem, as I have a "Smart Spark" computer that will do that for me as well as turning on the nitrous at a set predetermined rpm. It too was on the `Stang before I put the programable DFI on. It allows me to pull out or add timing every 500 rpm. I will also add a stand-alone stoich meter to monitor air-fuel ratio. I am convinced it will work, if the stock fuel pressure/volume can handle it. One short "blast" long enough to measure the detonation and fuel ratio shouldn`t hurt it. I am more worried about a "sneeze" that will lift that cheap plastic intake! :( The truck has 4300 miles on it and if something happens, I`ll just remove the juice and have the dealer fix it under warranty( except the intake).

Without a special computer program and with a totally dry setup, the truck can probably only handle a max of 55 shot.

I`m not intending to set the world afire! 50-70hp is all I need to make a few take notice. I think that 6-10 second "hits" is long enough and safer. Thanks Alec for your input.:bounce:

np, good luck

Back