• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

nitrous questions

CSpencer

Reaction score
City, State
Wilson,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Ive got a 95 4x4 xlt explorer. I want to lower it and add nitrous. I was looking at a zex system for trucks. My x is stock right now but sits alot lower than most explorers. any advice on the nitrous? what should i change before adding it or is it ok to go ahead and do and look at other mods later? :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Jakee

Reaction score
City, State
Huntsville, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport
CSpencer said:
Ive got a 95 4x4 xlt explorer. I want to lower it and add nitrous. I was looking at a zex system for trucks. My x is stock right now but sits alot lower than most explorers. any advice on the nitrous? what should i change before adding it or is it ok to go ahead and do and look at other mods later? :usa:
What are you're goals for the truck? How many miles do you have on it?

CSpencer

Reaction score
City, State
Wilson,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Its got right at 130,000 but runs good, I want to put nitrous, new headers, intake. There are alot of things, i just got to get the money right. Im installing a flip down monitor inside, and also putting a new system in.

boominXplorer

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 4x4 Mounty
I used the zex kit with a TPS turn on on my 5.0. When I would hit WOT she would spray till I let off. Since you have the 4.0 personally I would save your money and do something else. It takes money to get a nitrous system to work right and run safely.

au01st

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac
I'll second what Boomin said. I'm $1600 in and still don't have mine finished. Currently working on the switch panel that will be in my armrest console, hope to finish that this week. After that, all the electrical will be done and I'll only need tuning. :D

SkanlaxJMO

Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
130,000 miles on your truck....have you rebuilt the tranny..?....the added HP of nitrous would tost your tranny. Trhey are known to start to fail around 125k.

Jakee

Reaction score
City, State
Huntsville, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport
au01st said:
I'll second what Boomin said. I'm $1600 in and still don't have mine finished. Currently working on the switch panel that will be in my armrest console, hope to finish that this week. After that, all the electrical will be done and I'll only need tuning. :D

Hang in there, it's probably frustrating but you'll be there soon.

If it we're me, I'd do a compression test right off the bat. You need to find out the health of your engine. With 130K you're not going to have the performance of a newer engine no matter how well you think the truck runs. Take it from me. I would make sure you have the thing running in tip top shape first (good tune up). I would have the injectors cleaned and so forth. Don't just dump a cleaning solution in your tank thinking that's going to help. And don't just go to some shop and have them do a injector cleaning without removing the injectors. I would have what's called a "stage III" done if you have a good ford dealership. Once that's all done, you can put the juice on it if you'd like but your weak link is going to be your pistons and rings. I'm sure you can get away with a 50-75 shot for awhile, maybe even for along while but you're going to risk it with that many miles. If there IS something about to go wrong, you'll probably find it out pretty quick. However, I'm just trying to help you do this the right way, and to help you consider everything so you don't blow something up. If you haven't modded your truck yet then maybe look into doing the intake and exhaust first. (After the tune up and the compression check) Then do some other mods. DO the NOS last.

CSpencer

Reaction score
City, State
Wilson,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
I appreciate all the advice because some of my friends that have cars were telling me that it would be ok but there is a difference in the x and in an eclipse. Thanks for lookin out.

Jakee

Reaction score
City, State
Huntsville, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport
CSpencer said:
I appreciate all the advice because some of my friends that have cars were telling me that it would be ok but there is a difference in the x and in an eclipse. Thanks for lookin out.

Auo1st should be the one you listen too. He's going down this road right now and might have some suggestions for you.

Jakee

Reaction score
City, State
Huntsville, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport
Jakee said:
Hang in there, it's probably frustrating but you'll be there soon.

If it we're me, I'd do a compression test right off the bat. You need to find out the health of your engine. With 130K you're not going to have the performance of a newer engine no matter how well you think the truck runs. Take it from me. I would make sure you have the thing running in tip top shape first (good tune up). I would have the injectors cleaned and so forth. Don't just dump a cleaning solution in your tank thinking that's going to help. And don't just go to some shop and have them do a injector cleaning without removing the injectors. I would have what's called a "stage III" done if you have a good ford dealership. Once that's all done, you can put the juice on it if you'd like but your weak link is going to be your pistons and rings. I'm sure you can get away with a 50-75 shot for awhile, maybe even for along while but you're going to risk it with that many miles. If there IS something about to go wrong, you'll probably find it out pretty quick. However, I'm just trying to help you do this the right way, and to help you consider everything so you don't blow something up. If you haven't modded your truck yet then maybe look into doing the intake and exhaust first. (After the tune up and the compression check) Then do some other mods. DO the NOS last.
I need to correct myself here. Not a "Stage III", but a "3 Step"

CSpencer

Reaction score
City, State
Wilson,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
well this is along the same lines, but i was looking to take the speed limiter off. Do i have to get a chip for that? I have looked and called some people and they told me they didnt make a chip for a 95 explorer which kinda caught me off guard. does anyone know where to get one?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E more intelligent nitrous questions Need for Speed! 0
3 Nitrous Need for Speed! 0
Awon2zip Nitrous 1994 Explorer Need for Speed! 278
1 Nitrous for the first time.... Need for Speed! 45
S Will a stock 5.0 handle a 200+hp shot of Nitrous? Need for Speed! 29
R Pics of my Lincoln LS nitrous setup... Need for Speed! 25
R 2005 Lincoln LS w/ 100 shot nitrous new best ET's 11/18/06 Need for Speed! 13
S Nitrous.....Who has it? Need for Speed! 31
K Official 4.0 SOHC Nitrous Thread! Need for Speed! 4
boominXplorer My nitrous purge kit is on! Need for Speed! 5
S Nitrous injector..... Need for Speed! 15
V Question on spark plugs for nitrous system Need for Speed! 8
V Wanting to install nitrous, what all will I need? Need for Speed! 8
E nitrous cam, and in-car cam swap info thread Need for Speed! 15
E nitrous with stock fuel... 5.0 x and 3.0 dohc escape Need for Speed! 18
boominXplorer Boomin Gets NITROUS!!! Need for Speed! 39
C Nitrous( beat the dead horse ) Need for Speed! 6
S ZEX dry Nitrous, has got to be a joke Need for Speed! 19
S Nitrous mods Need for Speed! 2
S Nitrous Bottle Openers Need for Speed! 4
S What do you pay for nitrous?? Need for Speed! 7
S Nitrous tips / general info Need for Speed! 20
A nitrous Need for Speed! 12
james t i want my nitrous back! Need for Speed! 22
Alec The nitrous oxide is no more.... Need for Speed! 7
4 Nitrous Express Need for Speed! 6
U Nitrous from the `Stang? Need for Speed! 8
Alec Note to nitrous users Need for Speed! 3
E Nitrous Shots Need for Speed! 4
Alec Project Splat: Nitrous Oxide Need for Speed! 28
Cheeser96 Comp Cam Kit Questions Need for Speed! 3
R General Turbo Questions. Gen II 5.0 Need for Speed! 3
R Considering rear turbo. I have some questions. Need for Speed! 4
S 4.0 ohv build questions Need for Speed! 4
Scott B. Exhaust Questions (5.0 L) Need for Speed! 4
Scott B. GT 40 Cylinder Head Questions Need for Speed! 3
Scott B. 302 Block Questions Need for Speed! 13
J NOS?? and throttle body questions? Need for Speed! 11
J dyno questions Need for Speed! 23
J couple questions about the 4.0 sohc Need for Speed! 24
3 Questions about turboing a 4.0 OHV Need for Speed! 16
T Upcoming rebuild/swap questions Need for Speed! 0
carlover 4.0 performance questions Need for Speed! 3
H HI, and questions......... Need for Speed! 11
V Questions on Remote Turbo 5.0L in a Ranger.... Need for Speed! 47
D questions about my 98 explorer 4.0 sohc Need for Speed! 8
TheChadders Questions on power chips/programers Need for Speed! 18
Xan Ok wheel and tire questions Need for Speed! 5
V couple questions for u speed freaks! limited slips and short throw shifters Need for Speed! 18
O FLOWMASTER ORIGINAL 40s And WHEEL Questions Need for Speed! 10