nitrous questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

nitrous questions

Ive got a 95 4x4 xlt explorer. I want to lower it and add nitrous. I was looking at a zex system for trucks. My x is stock right now but sits alot lower than most explorers. any advice on the nitrous? what should i change before adding it or is it ok to go ahead and do and look at other mods later? :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CSpencer said:
Ive got a 95 4x4 xlt explorer. I want to lower it and add nitrous. I was looking at a zex system for trucks. My x is stock right now but sits alot lower than most explorers. any advice on the nitrous? what should i change before adding it or is it ok to go ahead and do and look at other mods later? :usa:

What are you're goals for the truck? How many miles do you have on it?

Its got right at 130,000 but runs good, I want to put nitrous, new headers, intake. There are alot of things, i just got to get the money right. Im installing a flip down monitor inside, and also putting a new system in.

I used the zex kit with a TPS turn on on my 5.0. When I would hit WOT she would spray till I let off. Since you have the 4.0 personally I would save your money and do something else. It takes money to get a nitrous system to work right and run safely.

I'll second what Boomin said. I'm $1600 in and still don't have mine finished. Currently working on the switch panel that will be in my armrest console, hope to finish that this week. After that, all the electrical will be done and I'll only need tuning. :D

130,000 miles on your truck....have you rebuilt the tranny..?....the added HP of nitrous would tost your tranny. Trhey are known to start to fail around 125k.

au01st said:
I'll second what Boomin said. I'm $1600 in and still don't have mine finished. Currently working on the switch panel that will be in my armrest console, hope to finish that this week. After that, all the electrical will be done and I'll only need tuning. :D

Hang in there, it's probably frustrating but you'll be there soon.

If it we're me, I'd do a compression test right off the bat. You need to find out the health of your engine. With 130K you're not going to have the performance of a newer engine no matter how well you think the truck runs. Take it from me. I would make sure you have the thing running in tip top shape first (good tune up). I would have the injectors cleaned and so forth. Don't just dump a cleaning solution in your tank thinking that's going to help. And don't just go to some shop and have them do a injector cleaning without removing the injectors. I would have what's called a "stage III" done if you have a good ford dealership. Once that's all done, you can put the juice on it if you'd like but your weak link is going to be your pistons and rings. I'm sure you can get away with a 50-75 shot for awhile, maybe even for along while but you're going to risk it with that many miles. If there IS something about to go wrong, you'll probably find it out pretty quick. However, I'm just trying to help you do this the right way, and to help you consider everything so you don't blow something up. If you haven't modded your truck yet then maybe look into doing the intake and exhaust first. (After the tune up and the compression check) Then do some other mods. DO the NOS last.

I appreciate all the advice because some of my friends that have cars were telling me that it would be ok but there is a difference in the x and in an eclipse. Thanks for lookin out.

CSpencer said:
I appreciate all the advice because some of my friends that have cars were telling me that it would be ok but there is a difference in the x and in an eclipse. Thanks for lookin out.

Auo1st should be the one you listen too. He's going down this road right now and might have some suggestions for you.

Jakee said:
Hang in there, it's probably frustrating but you'll be there soon.

If it we're me, I'd do a compression test right off the bat. You need to find out the health of your engine. With 130K you're not going to have the performance of a newer engine no matter how well you think the truck runs. Take it from me. I would make sure you have the thing running in tip top shape first (good tune up). I would have the injectors cleaned and so forth. Don't just dump a cleaning solution in your tank thinking that's going to help. And don't just go to some shop and have them do a injector cleaning without removing the injectors. I would have what's called a "stage III" done if you have a good ford dealership. Once that's all done, you can put the juice on it if you'd like but your weak link is going to be your pistons and rings. I'm sure you can get away with a 50-75 shot for awhile, maybe even for along while but you're going to risk it with that many miles. If there IS something about to go wrong, you'll probably find it out pretty quick. However, I'm just trying to help you do this the right way, and to help you consider everything so you don't blow something up. If you haven't modded your truck yet then maybe look into doing the intake and exhaust first. (After the tune up and the compression check) Then do some other mods. DO the NOS last.

I need to correct myself here. Not a "Stage III", but a "3 Step"

well this is along the same lines, but i was looking to take the speed limiter off. Do i have to get a chip for that? I have looked and called some people and they told me they didnt make a chip for a 95 explorer which kinda caught me off guard. does anyone know where to get one?

Back