Nitrous spark plugs

Awon2zip

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer Sport
Considering getting a wet nitrous kit for my 94 explorer. I plan on running a 50 shot. Maybe a 75 shot but that might be too much.

Anyways, had some questions about spark plugs. I recently put in Champion Double Platinum Power spark plug that is a step colder than my previous plugs. I've read some places that Platinum is bad with nitrous and I should go with Iridium.

Can I stay with the plugs I got now or should I switch to Iridium? Anything to prevent detention.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NGK TR6 gapped at .35-40

I only run copper. Gets a more complete burn than any of the fancy metals

NGK TR6 gapped at .35-40
Do you have a product number or a link to this specific spark plug? I having troubl finding online and it wasn't at my local auto parts store.

Yea..sorry.im use to my guys just knowing what im talking about..its the 4177,they dont last long so check them occasionally..good plugs tho,all i will run

Yea..sorry.im use to my guys just knowing what im talking about..its the 4177,they dont last long so check them occasionally..good plugs tho,all i will run

Thanks. how long do they typically last?

Thanks. how long do they typically last?

I changed mine so often that i couldnt tell you mileage. .think i get them for under a $1 a piece so have boxes of them..its not that they need to be changed,i just did..now i wont be spraying that motor anymore i wont change them half as much..

Fyi if you add a ""IX"" to the end of the part number you get the iridium plug..TR6ix

I run a 2 step colder plug with a non-protruding tip BR7EF

Not to steal the thread here, but is there any good reason to move up or down heat range in our trucks? Technically, I get the idea but in actual practice is there any real advantage to over stock if no FI or juice involved?

Not to steal the thread here, but is there any good reason to move up or down heat range in our trucks? Technically, I get the idea but in actual practice is there any real advantage to over stock if no FI or juice involved?

Moving to a cooler plug will help with spark knock. .but its a bandaid and should really only be used if all else fails..

I changed mine so often that i couldnt tell you mileage. .think i get them for under a $1 a piece so have boxes of them..its not that they need to be changed,i just did..now i wont be spraying that motor anymore i wont change them half as much..

Fyi if you add a ""IX"" to the end of the part number you get the iridium plug..TR6ix

I run a 2 step colder plug with a non-protruding tip BR7EF
Thanks. Correct me if I'm wrong but you have nitrous on a 92 explorer and a supercharged ranger? If you do have a nitrous explorer do you have a thread on setting it up?

Thanks. Correct me if I'm wrong but you have nitrous on a 92 explorer and a supercharged ranger? If you do have a nitrous explorer do you have a thread on setting it up?

Its on my ranger.setup all depends on what kit you have..i have the NX protron kit..i feed my fuel off a aftermart FPR..but they make a fitting that plugs into the stock quick disconnects at the frame to get fuel. .

The rest is basic knowledge. .injector goes infront the TB and dont spray till you reach about 3k..tr6 plugs gapped at .35 and start with a 50,75 should be safe without any timing pulled but depends on your motors condition. .you can pull the ""octane shorting bar"" if you get knock,if you cant tune.

If you wanna get technical on a first gen you can wire a relay into the "octane shorting bar"" that "opens" the plugs circuit when nos kicks in..that way you can have full timing any other time..1st gens cant be tuned cheap..

Ps run 93 gas

Its on my ranger.setup all depends on what kit you have..i have the NX protron kit..i feed my fuel off a aftermart FPR..but they make a fitting that plugs into the stock quick disconnects at the frame to get fuel. .

The rest is basic knowledge. .injector goes infront the TB and dont spray till you reach about 3k..tr6 plugs gapped at .35 and start with a 50,75 should be safe without any timing pulled but depends on your motors condition. .you can pull the ""octane shorting bar"" if you get knock,if you cant tune.

If you wanna get technical on a first gen you can wire a relay into the "octane shorting bar"" that "opens" the plugs circuit when nos kicks in..that way you can have full timing any other time..1st gens cant be tuned cheap..

Ps run 93 gas
I have the NX proton wet kit. I'm running 87 now and we only get 91 octane up here at 5280 ft. How important is the FPR?

I have the NX proton wet kit. I'm running 87 now and we only get 91 octane up here at 5280 ft. How important is the FPR?

91 is fine,helps with bigger shots to prevent detonation. .you wont need a aftermart fpr..stock is fine for you..get the adapter that plugs into the fuel line disconnect at frame rail on driverside to get fuel

I run an aftermarket fpr to adjust for timing.i also run E50..im supercharged..i use nitrous to help cool and add power higher up in rpms

..get the adapter that plugs into the fuel line disconnect at frame rail on driverside to get fuel

Do you have a link to the adapter? Also, where exactly does it go? Sorry for all the questions, i just wanna do this right.

Do you have a link to the adapter? Also, where exactly does it go? Sorry for all the questions, i just wanna do this right.

I cant seem to find what i was talking about,swear i saw it the other day..

You can get fuel from your Schrader valve on your fuel rail..

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/16179-4-male-x-116-npt-male-ford-fuel-rail-fitting.html

This was like what i was talking about but cant find it anywhere for old fords..
download%201_zpssexxzmea.jpg

Ah ok. I did locate the Shrader valve that had a blue cap on it. I was thinking hooking it up there but I wasn't sure if it could fit or supply enough fuel.

Will be plenty

Here is a picture of all 3 plugs.tr55,tr6 and br7EF

20160313_164624_zpswmjuql7q.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a picture of all 3 plugs.tr55,tr6 and br7EF

20160313_164624_zpswmjuql7q.jpg

Thanks for all your help. Got the nitrous kit set up this weekend. Did a few passes with a 35 shot. Spark plugs looked great. Gonna try a 50 shot this weekend.

Back