Nitto Mud Grapplers and Black Rock Rims | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nitto Mud Grapplers and Black Rock Rims

Its that time again and I got a good deal on a set of Nitto Mud Grapplers and I picked them up during SMORR. It was the main reason for me going. As of right now I have got every last cent out of the tires I am currently running (36 tsl radials). Jon and some guys brought my tires from Jons house down to the SMORR campground. Thanks again Guys.

The Tires:

They are heavy and agreessive. Im am curious about how they will perform on the road and off road. We will see soon.

New-Tires.jpg

Since Nitto didnt make a tire that I felt good about running in the 15 inch rim size I had to go up to 17s. This is where I am not happy.

Got the rims in last week while I was out of town. Come home exicted and get them out. They are nice but scratched and for the price I payed including shipping im not to happy. Phone calls will be made but I do not have time to send them back and for them to fix them. They were custom backspacing so they would have to repaint them (backspacing of 3.50). They were shipped in good packaging and even had rings around them to protect the front lip but they still ended up with some nice scratches in them. All of them are this way but not as bad.

New-Rims-17s.jpg

New-Rims-17s-Scratches.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have wheels. They are not scratched. I got three in today and that make the number of rims 4.

If they fixed them they sanded or sandblasted the entire rim or they could be telling me the truth and they actully made me 3 new ones. Who knows

Im not sure if ill get any refund or not now. I managed to get black rock to call me and they said it was up to Roco to give me any type of refund so I have no clue on whats going on in this area.

Wheels and tires should be on tomm as long as they get mounted. I just have to make sure that its not busy when I go to use the machines at a local shop. They let me do my last 2 sets for nothing and this time should be no different

I have wheels. They are not scratched. I got three in today and that make the number of rims 4.

If they fixed them they sanded or sandblasted the entire rim or they could be telling me the truth and they actully made me 3 new ones. Who knows

Im not sure if ill get any refund or not now. I managed to get black rock to call me and they said it was up to Roco to give me any type of refund so I have no clue on whats going on in this area.

Wheels and tires should be on tomm as long as they get mounted. I just have to make sure that its not busy when I go to use the machines at a local shop. They let me do my last 2 sets for nothing and this time should be no different

Well at least you won't be driving on the cords anymore. I can honestly say I was scared about you making it home from smorr, I can't imagine how bad those tires must look now.

Yeah they were pretty bad but really didnt wear down much since smorr. That was a blessing.

Here are the new tires/wheels:

Explorer6.jpg

explorer_2.jpg

I ran into a few little issues while putting them on:

#1 They weigh 131 lbs each
#2 They caused a little trimming to be done in the front and rear

explorer_1.jpg

I have more to post up later. I got the rear trimmed. I took off the whole back section and made it flush with the body. It looks ok but needs body liner.

Here is a new/old shot.

explorer_3.jpg

Very nice, and it's about time! Just kidding! Looks much better and I hope you can work out everything as that really sucks about the time it took.

BTW, there is still time for CCR.

Thanks I like them so far. They are not too loud believe it or not.

I do have my quirks about them. It may be a pressure thing for now. They kinda do this shfiting thing. Im going down to 35 psi and hoping it wont do it.

Fantastic--at 131 lbs they cant be fun to install!! Heh Heh

Glad you finally got them back.

Tire Update 10-07-2009

Well I have been waiting untill I got on or close to 2000 miles on the tires before I did my first review. I am currently sitting around 1900 miles.

At first I must admit that I was worried I would not like the tires at all. However I must say the complet oppisite.

The Pros: They are great. Ride Great, Sound Great (not to lout), and the tire wear looks good. So far they look like I just put them on.

The Cons: They are heavy. I have lost some mpg by about 2 mpg.

Odd Fact: They have a strong rubber smell that is still present. It was very strong the first month. My boss even commented that he could smell rubber all around my truck.

I also love the rims. Ah what a pain in my butt has turned out to be a nice set of rims.

Here are some pic for updates:

Tires2.jpg

Tire-tread.jpg

Tire-side-shot.jpg

Tire-Shot.jpg

4 Words 4 Ya:

Bee You Tea Full !!!!!

Yeah i have that on my old tsl but have not got it for these. Ill get one soon.

Back