No drive from trans/no revs from engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No drive from trans/no revs from engine

Dan Butenhoff

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Lincoln Aviator
Hi everyone. First time post.
2020 Aviator, bought in November.
Left my house, put the car in reverse, foot off brake and the car accelerated in reverse. Pressed the brake pedal and it was very hard to push. Car stopped, shifted to park, back to reverse, and drove normally.
Went to the gas station, reversed out of the spot fine, trans to drive, no drive. Pressed gas pedal, nothing, no engine revs, nothing. Put the trans in park, back to drive, the vehicle moves. To the Main Street pull out and nothing again, no engine revs, no movement. Finally starts to move again,feels like the power is way down. Get to a parking lot, turn off the engine, wait a few mins. Start up and seems fine. While all this was happing, no warning lights, nothing. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Dan.:wave:
I'd take it to the dealer right away. Have them check for any possible trouble codes. This is the first such report, and last I hope.

Peter

Left my house, put the car in reverse, foot off brake and the car accelerated in reverse. Pressed the brake pedal and it was very hard to push. Car stopped, shifted to park, back to reverse, and drove normally.
Went to the gas station, reversed out of the spot fine, trans to drive, no drive. Pressed gas pedal, nothing, no engine revs, nothing. Put the trans in park, back to drive, the vehicle moves. To the Main Street pull out and nothing again, no engine revs, no movement. Finally starts to move again,feels like the power is way down. Get to a parking lot, turn off the engine, wait a few mins. Start up and seems fine. While all this was happing, no warning lights, nothing. Any ideas?

Sounds like and issue with either the electronic Throttle Body or the pedal. I agree call the dealer and they should bring you a loaner and take it for repairs (beauty of the Lincoln you do not have to go in).

If you wanted to look at anything on your own I would start with the connectors on the Throttle Body and Pedal (if you can get to them). Other than that I wouldn't worry about it and let the dealer fix it. While you put miles on some other nice lincoln they bring you :).

Oh my... I wouldn't touch it other than to take it to the dealer. That's messed up...

Thanks. Not planning on doing anything myself. Dealer is getting it tomorrow. Just curious if this has happened to anyone else.

I 2nd the potential throttle body. But hard brakes.. hmmmm please keep us posted.

I 2nd the potential throttle body. But hard brakes.. hmmmm please keep us posted.

It could be an issue with the collision warning system.

Interesting....I have a loaner, since Ford has had my ST since the 3rd of January. The loaner is a 2020 Limited, with the 2.3l engine. Yesterday morning on my way in to work, I pull up to a stoplight and as I come to a stop, it all of a sudden felt like it just locked up the brakes, then as I sat at the light, it kept surging and stopping....not hard, but noticeable. Then when the light turned green, it didn't act like it wanted to go until I pressed the pedal near full throttle. All day yesterday it didn't feel like it was running quite right, but this morning it seemed fine.

Braking would be hard with no vacuum-throttle wide open. The drive by wire system needs a very thorough check. It's good you documented this, show them so they are forced to get it right. This is definitely a manufacturer liability issue.
I can see where this could be very dangerous.

Braking would be hard with no vacuum-throttle wide open. The drive by wire system needs a very thorough check. It's good you documented this, show them so they are forced to get it right. This is definitely a manufacturer liability issue.

Just for reference, the brakes on 2020's are electronically controlled. They are not vacuum assisted. I have no idea what is wrong with Dan's vehicle, but it's an electrical issue for sure. I would have it towed to dealer, and not drive it any further.

It is an electronic brake booster, not vacuum.

Edit, oops, buzzard already posted it.

Dan, I've experienced the issue you've described in the first sentence. Scares me occasionally while backing out of my stall in our parking garage. Seems like the harder I press on the peddle the more throttle is added. The first time it happened I thought I had my foot on both the gas and brake peddle. I've reported it but it's so hard to duplicate and happens rarely so I doubt it'll get fixed.

Just an update. Lincoln picked the car up on Wednesday and of course it has not had any of the issues. They are going to hold on to it over the weekend and Monday. Hopefully the issue happens again with them. I will let you all know if I hear something back. Thanks everyone for your input.

Back