No Ignition after Collision?

ExCrystal

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ex Limited 4WD
Hey all,

I was rear ended last night while at a dead stop. Massive damage to the lift gate, spare tire area, 3rd row, rear bumper, right exhaust, and possibly the fuel tank/drive-train.

The dash said "collision detected" and I moved to the closed lane of the Holland Tunnel (yes not the greatest place), then turned the car off. The car wouldn't start after I turned it off -- almost as if the car wasn't picking up the key. The brake pedal was also jammed down it seems. The aux power for the lights, lift gate, and seats worked, but controls via the key didn't (only able to lock and unlock car). The alarm wouldn't engage and the push-button start didn't work, nor did the aux power via the push-button.

I don't know if that's a standard feature, but I was concerned after the ordeal, and because of that I had to be towed out. So I wanted to know if it's standard the car will not turn back on/start after a collision?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did the Ex crank at all when trying to restart? At first I thought it was your fuel pump shutoff trigger which happens in moderate accidents. Many vehicles have a button you need to reset but after reviewing the manual, it says to shut off and then turn back on (may require an additional attempt) and restart.

IF that doesn't work, then clearly something more electrical is happening (safety feature?? not sure) that is preventing it from starting.

Did the Ex crank at all when trying to restart? At first I thought it was your fuel pump shutoff trigger which happens in moderate accidents. Many vehicles have a button you need to reset but after reviewing the manual, it says to shut off and then turn back on (may require an additional attempt) and restart.

IF that doesn't work, then clearly something more electrical is happening (safety feature?? not sure) that is preventing it from starting.

No crank, no nothing. Nothing happens when pressing the push-start.

Never had this happen before, but then again I've never been rear-ended in a keyless entry/push-start vehicle before.

Could be a variety of things. Maybe the force of the impact sheared off a battery terminal?

Hey all,

I was rear ended last night while at a dead stop. Massive damage to the lift gate, spare tire area, 3rd row, rear bumper, right exhaust, and possibly the fuel tank/drive-train.

I don't know if that's a standard feature, but I was concerned after the ordeal, and because of that I had to be towed out. So I wanted to know if it's standard the car will not turn back on/start after a collision?

Thanks!

All that damage and you had to be towed solely because the car wouldn't start??? Hope you weren't hurt!!

Tony

All that damage and you had to be towed solely because the car wouldn't start??? Hope you weren't hurt!!

Tony

Hi Tony,

Not sure if you were sarcastic or not, but yes the car was still running until I turned it off--then it wouldn't turn back on. Only a little whiplash, though!

I think he was getting at, sounds like the damage was severe enough that the vehicle shouldn't have been driven(except to the side of the road) due to safety issues.

Good to hear you're mostly OK, but it sounds like(from your description) that towing it was the proper thing to do(rather than driving even if it did start).

You may have a series of blown fuses. Start there.

Back