No oil pressure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No oil pressure

pebe

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer sport
Hello everyone.

My oil pressure gauge is showing no pressure. Nothing leaking.
Could this be a the oil pump?
Can anybody out there give me a suggestion?
I would appreciate the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the engine making any noises? You could get an actual pressure gauge and the actual pressure. It could also be a faulty oil pressure sender.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

I have moved your thread to the Stock 2nd Gen Sub Forum for better exposure.

Good luck getting it sorted. :thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

99.9% of the time its the sender. You will know real fast if its the pump or gummed up engine. Unless you have insane rattling and grinding noises its the sender. You would hear the lifters chattering right away.

I agree. It's probably the sender, wiring, or even the gauge. Get a mechanical gauge and check the pressure, or just replace the sender if you prefer, and find out what it is before you run the engine more. It ought to sound really bad by now if it really has no oil pressure.

99.9% of the time its the sender. You will know real fast if its the pump or gummed up engine. Unless you have insane rattling and grinding noises its the sender. You would hear the lifters chattering right away.

Insane rattling and grinding I do have. When I started up it was very loud. I have had the oil pump replacement quoted from $625.00 to as high as $1300.00. There were a few shops that did not want to give an estimate. Too many unknowns. What do you think?

not worth replacing

If I were a shop mechanic I would be concerned that there might be bearing damage requiring an engine rebuild. How many miles and for how long have you driven your vehicle since there was no oil pressure? I think the oil pressure switch activates the "gauge" when there is more than about 5 psi. I added a real oil pressure gauge in an A pillar pod since the stock one is just a glorified idiot light. You should consider the possibility of needing a replacement engine.

i think you're going to need a new engine. no oil pressure and lots of noise = ruined engine.

Yeah, that's bad. If it's making lots of noise, it's most likely already ruined, or at least had it's life severely reduced (if it has been run for more then a few seconds).

You may be able to save it if it hasn't gone too far, but the cost probably wouldn't be worth it. You need to drop the oil pan and evaluate the damage. Better start planning for a different engine or different vehicle.

Geez. Call around and try and find a good price on a second hand engine. Sorry to hear that... I bet shes scrap.

Back