No parking or turn lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No parking or turn lights

I have a 96 explorer limited. It was wired with a factory 4 pin connector that I've adatped for use with a 7 pin connector tow plug and a brake controller. I tow 20 ft camper trailer with with electric brakes. I've been hauling the trailer on vacation for about 2 years with no problems.

Last week when I hooked up got no lights on the trailer. No turn signals, brakes or parking lights. I've testing the wiring harnesses back to the connector behind the driver side rear turn signal on the explorer. At that connector, i get no power for the turn, and parking lights. That connector also powers the license plate lamps, and I get power for that.

I can't check the harness any further because it goes into the body and I dont know where it goes after that.

Do any of you know if there are any fuses that are connected to this circuit or where I can find schematics for the towing circuit. Haynes manual for the 96 Explorer is useless.

Thanks

Check the connector that the 4 flat harness plugs into. The connection could be corroded there. I assume your brake lights work now? Have you checked any of the fuses under the hood or in the dash? Simply looking at them won't suffice, you need to test each fuse individually, I have had a fuse be bad that wasn't visibly blown.

Back