no power steering/battery warning when first started. intermittent | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

no power steering/battery warning when first started. intermittent

floridaexplorer14

Reaction score
City, State
vero beach, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 explorer limited
2014 ford explorer limited.

I sometimes experience no power steering and a battery light come on in the mornings. I replaced the battery, even though the battery in there was already replaced when I bought it used and it checked out fine. The alternator output is 14.50 volts. I am going to check the voltage in the morning to see if it is some sort of power drain overnight. Any suggestions? I'm thinking a possible power drain, and with the hid factory headlights it takes a lot of juice when first started.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
This seems somewhat familiar to another recent post but I'll have to check. The HID headlamps shouldn't come on unless it's dark enough for them to come on if in the 'Auto' setting.and really should not affect the battery. Is this happening after you replaced the battery?

Peter

I will have to double check in the morning about the lights. But I believe they are on like daylight running lights.

I will have to double check in the morning about the lights. But I believe they are on like daylight running lights.
On my 2011 Limited with OEM HID headlights the Daytime Running Lights (DRL) lights were on the amber parking/turn signal lights. Even if they were on the HID lights they would run at a reduced power if acting as DRL.

Peter

Vehicles equipped with HIDs can't use the headlamps as DRLs because the ballasts need constant power, and can't tolerate the PWM feed required like the halogen equipped vehicles.

HIDs will need a surge at start for normal use but it shouldn't cause your other issues.

Does the car ever say a message such as "LOW POWER LESS FEATURES?," separate and apart from the Check Charging System Message?

IIRC, the PSCM measures voltage and reports this back to the rest of the vehicle. Even if the system voltage is correct (and 14.5 sounds on the high side of normal,) but the PSCM sees a problem, you may get charging warning. The power steering might be causing a false positive on the charging system. I would pull codes from the power steering module, if any, and proceed further.

sometimes I get the message low power less features when the battery is really low, just checked the voltage this morning and the alternator wasn't charging. also when the headlights are set at automatic the hid lights are on.

Where are you measuring the voltage at? Are you querying a module or doing it old school?

What was the outcome of this? I am having the exact same problem with my 2014 Limited.

What was the outcome of this? I am having the exact same problem with my 2014 Limited.
I think the first thing to do is to confirm that the battery is good. Do you get any power steering issues when driving?

Peter

I think the first thing to do is to confirm that the battery is good. Do you get any power steering issues when driving?

Peter
Yes. It seems to only happen in the mornings or when the vehicle is started for the first time that day. I get the "Check Charging System" message and lose power steering. Power steering may come back after a minute or two. It will also come back if I shut off and restart the vehicle. I have also seen a hill descent control message, but I don't remember exactly what it said. Battery seems good by checking voltage, but have not had it tested under load.

Seeing these codes:

Code: P0625 - Generator Field Terminal Circuit Low
- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC
Module: Powertrain Control Module

Code: P0138 - O2 Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
Module: Powertrain Control Module

Code: P0138 - O2 Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
- Pending - malfunction is expected to be confirmed
Module: On Board Diagnostic II

Code: C1B00 - Steering angle sensor
Additional Fault Symptom:
- Signal Plausibility Failure
- Test not complete
Module: Antilock braking system

Code: U3003 - Battery Voltage
- Circuit Voltage Below Threshold
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is On for this DTC
Module: Antilock braking system

Code: U3003 - Battery Voltage
- Event Information
Module: Power Steering Control Module

Sounds like a badd battery to me. Seems like the alternator is doing its job and charging it up once you start up therefore the error message is clear . But once it sits for a little bit starts to lose its charge. It seems like batteries on these explorers only last 3 to 4 years on average.

Those battery codes are giving me chills--have that battery professionally tested as soon as possible. If the wrong voltage is sensed, the modules will either behave oddly or go into failure modes and fail safes.

On the upside, a bad battery is a cheap fix at least!

Sounds like a badd battery to me. Seems like the alternator is doing its job and charging it up once you start up therefore the error message is clear . But once it sits for a little bit starts to lose its charge. It seems like batteries on these explorers only last 3 to 4 years on average.
I think I will try replacing the battery. The one that's in there is less than a year old, but it's a refurbished battery and I don't trust it. I'll make another post after I try a new battery. Thanks guys!

UPDATE: Had the old battery tested at Autozone. They said it was 100% working. Didn't trust that, so I took it back to the place where I bought the battery originally. They tested it and said it was bad. (Only putting out 65 CCA) They put a new one in. This was yesterday. The problem came back this morning. Any advice on what to check next?

Parasitic draw? Any aftermarket accessories?

Nothing aftermarket except a cell phone charger that stays plugged in all the time. I will remove it and see what happens.

Nothing aftermarket except a cell phone charger that stays plugged in all the time. I will remove it and see what happens.

I leave mine plugged in all the time.. will sit for days sometimes and never an issue so that should not cause it

I have left the cell phone charger unplugged for 4 days. So far, the problem has not returned! Wouldn't it be crazy if all this was just because of a crappy cell phone charger???

I have left the cell phone charger unplugged for 4 days. So far, the problem has not returned! Wouldn't it be crazy if all this was just because of a crappy cell phone charger???
It has been posted several times that they can interfere with the remote start feature. Hope you found the problem.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can believe it. Most of those things are cheap made-in-China junk chargers. Even the ones that you buy from Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint.

Back