No reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No reverse

Zak18

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford explorer
Hello all,

You guys have helped me in all sorts of ways with my truck but I can't find an anwser to this question and I figured you'll would be the best to ask.

2007 ford explorer xlt 4.0L

Reverse stopped working after driving home the other day. It would Rev but wouldn't go. Left the car to sit and tried the next day and when it was cold it would engage and roll back under idle speed but won't take any acceleration. I had a guy check it out today and he wants to rebuild the whole thing but I want to see if anyone has a different opinion? Thank you in advance to everyone that might have a response!

the ears on the reverse band are a weak disaster and fail without notice.... if it does not fully break you can feel some reverse until the band cant grip anymore.... the reverse band is the last part inside the trans case before the tail and requires the whole thing to be taken apart hence why people just go ahead and to a full rebuild.... the reverse band is like a $15 part that requires $1000 worth of labor but since the tech is already that far inside servo bores and clutch packs make sense ..... had this happen on my 98 5r55 and did the push to reverse method for over 2 years! I knew what the problem was once I heard the tick snap sound after going into reverse one morning ..... you also have a chance of the broken tab floating around inside the trans just wanting to destroy something but mine went strong for 50k miles until the engine decided to blow coolant from behind the block.... didn't figure it out just had it crushed and bought my 07 ..... RIP at 207,000

Back