• Register Today It's free!

06’ has No Reverse just revs

ClutchYara

Reaction score
City, State
Cape Coral, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
06’ Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
Recently I noticed the reverse in my 06’ 4.0 wasn’t working correctly. It would rev really hard like it was in neutral and I would barely roll backwards. Now it won’t reverse at all and just revs. When I shift into R I don’t feel anything shift but my reverse camera comes on. I got the code P0720 which led me to replace me TSS but that didn’t fix it. I can see the drive shaft trying to move but not moving. Goes fine in D and all other gears except R. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Miles? original trans?

When I bought our (already sold) 07 4.0, it also did not have a reverse gear, and few forward gears were messed up. From what I am reading, loosing the R is very common on th the 5R's.
I just put in a reman unit there from streetsmart transmissions.

Miles? original trans?
I have 180,000 and it’s the original trans. The part I don’t understand is what could have caused it to go out slowly instead of all at once. Is there any chance it could be something with my trans range sensor not activity the reverse gear and leaving it in neutral. If it was a mechanical issue I would assume it would have been one shot

If its 180,000 miles on the OG transmission, my money is either worn servo pin bores, or worn reverse valving on the valve body. You have probably smoked the reverse band and OD drum by revving the truck also. My money is on rebuild time, sorry man.

If its 180,000 miles on the OG transmission, my money is either worn servo pin bores, or worn reverse valving on the valve body. You have probably smoked the reverse band and OD drum by revving the truck also. My money is on rebuild time, sorry man.
That’s very unfortunate but it happens. Where can I find a good rebuild

I did that homework 4 years ago when I bought our 07 very cheap for my son. The reverse was gone, 1,2 and 3 was barely working, 4 and 5 non existent.

I called around and ended up with street smart transmissions for $ 1,820 including shipping.

My son did not take it easy in the 2-3 years he owned it. He towed trailers, and took it offroading where he would really abuse it.
And that tranny never had any issues, I think that's a good testimony to the rebuild quality.

I have an 07 XLT with 100k miles on it. I'm very happy with the 4.0L and 5 speed combination, I believe that well maintained, it will last us for years. IMO the 5 speed is not made to take abuse, constant hard accelerations or heavy towing, but is fine for sane driving as transportation. A neighbor has a 08' with almost 300k miles on it, V6 model, well maintained but never had any big transmission or engine problem.

A neighbor has a 08' with almost 300k miles on it, V6 model, well maintained but never had any big transmission or engine problem.
That sure makes me feel a little better with my 08 all the bad I hear about that trans.

My 2006 Eddie Bauer V6 is still hanging on, reverse is only good for idle or a slight touch on the gas, almost like backing up a rear wheel drive in the snow without breaking a tire loose. That’s about all I can give it otherwise it vibrates and slips.

Occasionally it shifts sloppy on the 2-3 and when kicking down from 4 to 3, but it’s been doing that for about 5 years.

Mine has been towing my family and a 3300 pound camper since new, and now at 162,000 on original trans with just two fluid changes since new.

I only have a 2 mile ride to work, so I’ll drive it till it drops then consider a trans replacement.

I bought mine in December 2018 with about 90k miles on it at the time. I was lucky in the sense that it had been very well maintained and garage kept, it literally looked brand new even under the hood. The only thing I have had to replace so far is the thermostat housing in February this year. I also recently had the transmission fluid and filter changed when it hit 100k and I change the oil and filter every 3000 miles and I always use 5w30 weight oil as Ford specifies for this vehicle. For some vehicles, and maybe for the V8 in some explorers, changing oil that frequently may not be necessary, but from everything I've read and learned from other V6 explorer owners, oil changes every 3000 to 4000 miles is the key to a long engine life. Just MO of course but that's what I would recommend. The lady I know that has the 08 with 288k miles on it also has always had her oil and filter changed every 3000 miles since she bought it new.

Back