no spark, no fuel, after engine swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

no spark, no fuel, after engine swap

majdi

Reaction score
City, State
kitchener, ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 ranger
so i swaped my ford ranger 1994 4.L automatic engine with an Aerostar engine, engine had 160k on it, before it was pulled out it ran fine. I did the swap, had to change the complete harness, and the intake manifold and the exhaust.

I got the engine in and everything is good , but the engine wont fire,

there is no spark , there is no fuel( fuel pump is not turning on)

already checked : wiring, fuses , coil plug has power , firing order is good

the crank position sensor has no power when the engine is turning over

there seems to have been an alarm on the truck from before, i unplugged that black box for the alarm, but still no luck.

any suggestion guys ? do you think it could be the old alarm ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You say you've checked the wiring. How thoroughly do you feel you checked the wiring? Because my first reaction to your description is that the engine management system (EEC) isn't getting power. If you haven't already checked, make sure the EEC fuse is intact, the EEC relay is closing, and the PCM (and rest of the engine management) is getting power.

Don't forget to check the PCM grounds, too.

i took the harness completely out and checked all the wires in it, they all tested good. the EEC fuse is good and is getting power, and i tested the relay it seems to be getting power, all of the other fuses have power.

I'm really stuck here

the EEC fuse is good and is getting power, and i tested the relay it seems to be getting power,
The relay is getting power. Is the relay closing? Are all the things that get power from the red wire that comes out of the EEC relay getting power (including ICM, fuel pump relay, PCM)?

i'm going to check that tomorrow

i have checked the relays they all have power and they are closing ........

okay so i did some more tests , the fuel pump is okay i gave it power and it turned on , the relay has power but it is not turning on , im not sure if its closing but i dont think it is since i can hear it click or the pump.

my question is will the engine not spark if the fuel pump is not coming on ? and vise versa ?

my question is will the engine not spark if the fuel pump is not coming on ? and vise versa ?
Not usually. Because the computer controls both spark and fuel pump, it still seems to me that the problem would be in the main EEC IV power circuit.

the relay has power but it is not turning on
Has power on which leads? With common to ground and KOEO, you should see +12 V at three leads to the fuel pump relay: one wire that comes from the fuel pump fuse (yellow I think), one wire that comes from the EEC relay (red usually), and one (tan???) that goes to the PCM and self-test connector. In particular, I'm still wondering if that red wire that comes from the EEC relay has power. Does this same red wire have power going into the ICM? PCM?

at the fuel pump relay all wires have power except the green with yellow stripes which goes to the inertia switch and the pump. when i give it 12 v it turns on.

also where is the icm and the pcm relays ?

thanks

at the fuel pump relay all wires have power except the green with yellow stripes which goes to the inertia switch and the pump. when i give it 12 v it turns on.
This tells us that the FP relay isn't closing. Does the relay close if you ground the test lead in the self-test connector (short end of the trapezoid if I remember correctly). If the relay closes, then the relay is good, and we have to figure out why the computer isn't closing the relay. If the relay doesn't close, then the relay is likely bad.

also where is the icm and the pcm relays ?
ICM and PCM get power from the same relay: the EEC relay. ICM itself is located in front of the battery, next to the radiator. PCM is located in the cab, passenger side kick panel, just in front of the door, below the glove box.

i just replaced the fuel pump relay and still no go, the EEC relay is closing because right before i turn the car on, it clicks, but no clicking for the fuel pump also the crank position sensor doesn't have power. i was told it needs to have at least 5v

i followed the wiring for the crank position sensor all the way to the ICM, the wire is okay, i tried something today I'm not sure what it means , i grounded some pins on the harness connector where the harness from the injectors and all of that plugs in , and the fuel pump turned on , also i grounded some other ones , the eec relay would click, i grounded some other pins together and the engine turned over but still not firing,

what does this mean ,.... please guys help , i'm stuck here i'm ready to give up

also i don't see a check engine light when i turn the key to the on position, but im not sure if it has that light , i don't see it on the dash

also i don't see a check engine light when i turn the key to the on position, but im not sure if it has that light , i don't see it on the dash
On my Explorer, the CEL is on the left side of the dash, just below the coolant temperature dial, just to the right of the left turn signal indicator.

You should have a CEL somewhere. Late '80's, the US Federal gov't (and I thought Canada was right there, too) mandated some kind of "check engine light". That light comes on KOEO as a basic check of the system. If it's not coming on, then there's something wrong with the light, or something wrong with the PCM or it's power circuit or its ground circuit.

The clicking of the EEC relay and +12V at the red wire on the fuel pump relay suggest that the EEC relay is indeed closing. So, the next step is to see if the PCM has power. Wiring diagram for my '92 says pin 37 and 57 are power in to the PCM. Can you verify power at the PCM?

the pcm is under the glove box right ? i will check that today and also how do i figure out which pin is witch ?

thanks

On my '92, the PCM connector has numbers molded into the side. 1 next to the #1 pin, 20 next to the #20 pin, 41 and 60. Then you count pins in between. Be sure to get a wiring diagram for your '94, as I can't be certain the pin assignments are the same as for my '92.

o okay i do have one for my 94 i will check it when i get home but do i also have to check anything on the eec ?

I can't think of anything else that would need to be checked: just power and ground.

Why did you have to replace the entire wiring harness? What did you get the harness from, the Aerostar that you got the engine from? I guess what I'm wondering is if you possibly got a badly matched wiring harness with the wrong wiring configuration.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well the harness is mine the original one i just swapped the manifold , and all the sensors are plugged in , i can't see the problem
here ?

Back