Still no Fuel After Searching | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Still no Fuel After Searching

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jtsmith said:
Just for giggles, switch the fuel pump relay with another. Just to humor me

:thumbsup: I agree. The EEC and FP relays are identical. I switched mine (but didn't help in this case). Ya never know.

Just hooked up a wire with a cig plug on the end to the Inertia Switch DkGreen/Yellow. Now when my pump doesn't prime because of problems in the mess of EEC and relays and crap, I just plug into the cig lighter, listen to it buzz away, turn the key, and go. After a few minutes I unplug and if it keeps running I'm ok. If not, I leave it plugged in. Kinda Bubba, but it gets me where I'm going. I just toss the wire and plug under the passenger floor mat when not needed. When it gets warmer, I'll do it right. Right now I'm tired of screwing with it. Ya know what I mean, I'm sure..Good Luck.

Hey fellas sorry its been a couple of days, I was sent out of town for work.

I switched relays around to no avail. To be honest I cant even get the fuel pump to turn on. I know the thing works but i can't jump anything to get that thing to prime.

Starting to get old, I can see I will be dishing out some money before too long to get this straightened out. Thanks for the help so far fellows. Open to anymore ideas! :thumbsup:

I think I solved the problem with my fuel pump. It wasn't the fuel pump. It was the fuel FILTER. You would think they could make a fuel filter that would last! This one was only 12 years old and had only 195,000 miles on it. Sheesh!

Anywhooo......I pulled the old one off and all kinds of junk ran out. You can hardly blow through it. No wonder my fuel pump would fail to start after trying to restart the vehicle when it was only shut of for a couple minutes - and then start ok after sitting for 10 or 15 minutes. Must be the backpressure in the line before the filter had to bleed off before it would start to pump - too much load. That's my take on it, anyway. It now primes instantly, and hasn't given me any other problems. All my drivablility problems like surging idle, etc. went away, too. :D

Anyone for preventative maintenance? How could I be so neglegent? :chug:

Good job in getting it straightened out. Funny how some stuff seems so obvious but can be overlooked so easy.

And heres to everybody that helped me out. Finally got the truck running. After looking over the whole truck for days :rolleyes: Turns out a partially shorted coil ( eec relay) and a shady ground were the culprits. Couldn't have been happier when i heard that fuel pump prime. Only problem now is the leak i have developed in one of the tranny lines coming from the cooler. What fun what fun. Thanks again everybody.

Back