no start, no codes | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

no start, no codes

i might keep the motor yet, i wouldn't mind seeing what went wrong with it. it almost ready to pull.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i might keep the motor yet, i wouldn't mind seeing what went wrong with it. it almost ready to pull.

That would be a great learning experience. Perhaps you should consider a complete rebuild on that engine. Not cheap, but it would add a lot of resale value to the truck. When those engines are rebuilt with the newer beefier timing chain parts they last a long time.

These are some good threads to read.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161701

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204267

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163298

This one has a couple of good external links.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175601

Keep us posted.
Bob

thanks bob, but i don't think i will rebuild it. i have the sohc from the 01 still sitting by my shed, and i will have that one as well. i just want to open it up, see how they work, and possibly see what went wrong. for evil (my truck) i have been trying to hunt down a 5L explorer for the last two years (they aren't as common as they are in the us) and do a 5L swap. i know those motors way better then these ohc motors.

If you are getting compression out of the intake (post #49) your timing chain is off or your valves are stuck open or closed. It would also explain your low compression in certain cylinders. I cannot think of anything else that would cause this.

Is there no way to check the chain and gear alignment ?

This happened to me once. I turned the vehicle off.....went into a store.....came out....and it would not start. After two days of trouble shooting, I discovered the chain had jumped a few teeth. A timing light was my friend. (It was a Mustang though)

thanks bob, but i don't think i will rebuild it. i have the sohc from the 01 still sitting by my shed, and i will have that one as well. i just want to open it up, see how they work, and possibly see what went wrong. for evil (my truck) i have been trying to hunt down a 5L explorer for the last two years (they aren't as common as they are in the us) and do a 5L swap. i know those motors way better then these ohc motors.

When you get around to taking it apart, pull the front cover and post a picture.
Does it look like this?

Exp019.jpg

Or This?

attachment.php

Just curious.
p.s. The engines in the pictures are from a 4 wheel drive so you may not have that lower chain and balance shaft on the left of the pictures.

i'll post one up. wont be for a while. after i get this nightmare running, and up for sale, i will want to start working on my car again. i now remember why i became a body man, and not a mechanic!

bad motor is out, have a different one coming tomorrow. as asked before, and yes, it is a dumb question. but i bet most of you will run out to the drive way to look ( i would do that, but i don't have anyone here to crank my truck over). can someone tell me which way the crank spins when you are looking at the front of the motor (balancer). clockwise, or counter clockwise?

Clockwise.

well today was a good day, the days before that sucked! Thursday, buddy dropped the new/used motor off. i had spent about 2 hours removing stuff that was not needed, and swapping exhaust manifolds (more on that later). the 2 hours after that, i tried to get the motor in the truck, no luck. that, combind with the plate that is between the motor and trains always wanting to fall off started to realy piss me off :mad:. so i walked away from it for the night. came back Saturday night, yanked the motor out and staked the dowel pins so the plate wouldn't fall off. i thought it was a great idea (more on that one as well later). 10 mins later the motor was in. go figure! but a new problem surfaced. when i put the plate on, i was rushing, and not paying attention on what i was doing, put it on backwards! other words, starter hole was on the wrong side! :rolleyes: i didn't want to pull the motor back out, so here i am under the truck with a pry bar trying to get the plate off to flip it around. 15 mins later, mission accomplished. now i go about lining the torque converter up to the flywheel. it was off by maybe a 1/8th of a inch. there was another 30 mins of my life i will never get back! now on to bolting the bell housing. for what ever reason, one side was flush, while the other side had a gap about 1/4 of a inch. i don't know if the dowels on the motor where bent a bit, or what. but what should have been a 45 min job at the most took 4 hours! i had to get one started, but not tight, then get the ones above and below started, but not tight. then tighten them gradually so i didn't break either the block or bell housing. now that the b.s. work was done, the top half would fly along. until i noticed that the exhaust manifold gasket some how fubard itself when i was putting it on. piss on it! i will change that when i hear it run! i was at buddy's place until about 3 am last night (good thing i work midnight shift and had last night off) finishing it. i didn't want to start it last night just in case something happened (like what could happen, its been such smooth sailing so far.......right?), so today i went back there to see if it would come to life. guess what? IT STARTED! (do the happy dance, do the happy dance :bounce:). the one manifold gasket is leaking, i will have to replace that, but the sumbitch runs, and thats all i care about! i will be so happy when i have this thing sold! i had a easier time putting the big block in my 81 capri then this thing!!!!! thanks for all your help guys, i appreciate it.

Glad to hear it . Good luck with the sale!!

Congrats, and I know those days. I've put off building my new trans knowing how much of a pain that is in a driveway. Now that it's getting cold, I'll do it.

Back