Solved - No start. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved No start.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
5-30 only and synthetic MAY cause a small leak on a old seal
But
Imo you can run both and be fine
I run mobil one synthetic

I see no problem with switching from conventional oil to a full synthetic (or back again) You can even mix the 2 together in a pinch.

I believe in regular oil changes and using a quality full synthetic oil and quality filters. Some here say that they change the oil in their SOHC's at 3,000 mile intervals. My opinion is that doing this buys you nothing and wastes your money. Changing your oil every week will not prevent plastic timing chain components from getting brittle and breaking, which is what kills most SOHC engines. Depending on the conditions you drive in (stop and go traffic, dusty conditions, towing) you might want to change your oil at 5,000 mile intervals, rather than Ford's recommended 7,500 miles using a synthetic blend. I use Mobil 1 10W30 Full Synthetic Extended Performance with extended life oil filters in my V8's. They typically only see around 5,000 miles of around-town use (or less) in 12 months, so I change the oil in them once a year. In my one remaining SOHC I used Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W30 and changed the oil more often (2-3 times a year) regardless of mileage. The previous owner did not treat this truck to much, if any, maintenance. I could tell this by the amount of sludge in the engine, black transmission fluid and almost no oil in the rear diff (what was there was mixed with water) yet at 200K+ miles it was a head gasket that took it off the road, not the timing chains. And even if the TC plastic pieces haven't broken chains stretch. The longer the chain the more they stretch over time and Fords SOHC engines have a lot of chain in them (both cams, jack shaft, balance shaft in the 4x4's). That's many feet of chain to wear,

I drive 75% highway and 25% city.

Today while driving a very bumpy road in the city at about @20-25mph I experienced a weird loss of power.

I was coasting both times off of the throttle and than while getting back on the the accelerator from the coast, the speedometer jumped to about 60mph and the ABS light flashed a few times.

As soon the symptoms occurred I let off the throttle and when getting back on the throttle it resumed normally.

The second time happened maybe 2kms later with the same symptoms. I stopped and turned off engine to check under hood etc.. everything checked out.

Started truck and ran twice more since symptoms and ran fine no issues for last 30kms with 20 of the kms on freeway.

Quick search mentioned something pcm related. There is a dealer sticker in the engine bay with some notes from work that was done on it in Jan 2001, under warranty I assume, I doubt it has anything to do with my problem, but It states:
PCM reprogrammed
Module 15
XU7A-12A650-CAA

Just read a thread that leads me to believe it may be the VSS.
The typical symptoms are opposite of what I experienced... typicall vss is no speedo at all where as mine spiked and still works?

Back