noise from front end, especially over bumps | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

noise from front end, especially over bumps

costill

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT
i am trying to diagnose the noise i hear coming from my front end. i happens more often over bumps, sounds like could be a ball joint, but i'm not sure. also, before i started getting the flashing 4wd hi/lo light problem, when the truck was in 4hi(now it doesn't seem to engage at all), it would buck and stumble on turns.
any suggestions? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could it be your sway bar? the rubber gromets blew out on mine and made noise while turning a going over any bumps. super easy to fix if thats the issue.

i will check this, thank you for the suggestion

also, before i started getting the flashing 4wd hi/lo light problem, when the truck was in 4hi(now it doesn't seem to engage at all), it would buck and stumble on turns.
any suggestions? thanks

does the front driveshaft have a cv-joint at the t-case? Not a double-cardan u-joint setup, but a circular shaped "cup"?

I can't remember if the 4.0's had these, but I'm guessing they did.

If so, it sounds like that is atleast part of the problem with your 4WD noises.

Id definately look at your sway bar linkage... I had the same problem and its crawled under there it was like a 9 dollar fix.

Back