Noisy 4.6 Explorer Engine - Sounds Like Power Steering Pump | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noisy 4.6 Explorer Engine - Sounds Like Power Steering Pump

Dan Lough

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
A few weeks ago I joined this group and reached out to some of you when I was trying to figure out what the loud whining noise was that was coming form the front of my Ford Explorer (V8) 4.6 engine. I replaced the power steering pump ($60) only to find that the noise was still there. I replaced the top tensioner pulley ($17) and the top idler pulley ($17). Noise was still there. Damn! Finally I replaced the tensioner arm ($33) that has the pulley attached and is located on the lower front of the engine on the passenger side. Silence at last! The engine is quiet again and I am ready for winter. Thank you all for your suggestions and help. I was very close to dropping this off at a real mechanic with the risk of getting overcharged and/or ripped off. Glad I stuck to it and did it myself. If I had to do it again, or if there is anyone out there that is trying to diagnose the same type of problem, I would take off the serpentine belt and spin each of the pulleys and see which one felt like the bearing might be worn out, then replace that one for starters. Thanks again for your help you guys. Glad to be a part of this group. D Lock - CLE

I was very close to dropping this off at a real mechanic

Hey man....every Clevelander is a "real mechanic".....especially before winter hahaha. If you ever need one, I know some SHOCKINGLY reliable and honest ones on the West side off Ridge Rd.

Not sure where your miles are, but make sure you do your fluid changes before winter hits!

Im at 130K, I need to replace my serp belt and tensioner. They skip at full throttle over the alternator I replaced last summer (or maybe its the alternator!)

Thank you my friend. I will keep you and your west side CLE mechanic in mind if I can't fix something or don't have the time to mess with it. Good luck with your explorer. I have 237,000 miles on mine and it still runs great. I've been using Valvoline synthetic blend oil since it was new. I think that might have something to do with it's longevity.

Thank you my friend. I will keep you and your west side CLE mechanic in mind if I can't fix something or don't have the time to mess with it. Good luck with your explorer. I have 237,000 miles on mine and it still runs great. I've been using Valvoline synthetic blend oil since it was new. I think that might have something to do with it's longevity.

Agreed and I believe it does. I use Redline in everything that needs fluid in which they manufacture for........so I'm hoping for similar luck!

Back