Non-cosmetic differences between 1997 and 2000 explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Non-cosmetic differences between 1997 and 2000 explorer?

freak

Reaction score
City, State
Pemberville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000, Explorer XLS
I'm going to look at a non-running 1997 4wd M5OD explorer tomorrow. I assume that it has a 4.0 OHV since it's a 5spd. Cosmetic differences aside, from the 1997 to the 2000, is the main difference the front suspension? Apparently turns over won't start. AFAIK it's not an interference engine so even if it's a timing chain which isn't usually an issue on the ohv I'm not that worried. Anything to look out for?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

96-01 have same front suspension and rear suspension

97 with a 5 speed is probably a 4.0 ohv yes
Could just be no fuel pump

The trucks are very similar 97-00 what changed is the rear hatch and back side windows… otherwise same truck underneath

In fact
Most people don’t realize from the a pillar back to the hatch is same truck 91-97

Wouldn't there be a fuel pressure difference, '97 having a return fuel rail and ~40PSI target while '00 is returnless and 60PSI?

Yes the 98+ have returnless fuel 64 psi +/- on those

There are
Many wiring changes 96-97 vs 98-01 of course

Not very often does an ohv lose time

Yes the 98+ have returnless fuel 64 psi +/- on those

There are
Many wiring changes 96-97 vs 98-01 of course

Not very often does an ohv lose time
Yeah I know there's going to be a lot of small things. My biggest thought was the front suspension which you said was the same. I may be thinking about the ranger but I assumed the ranger and explorer were the same for a given year.

Ranger 4.0 and 4wd 98-11 is same front sla suspension

Sla stands for short long arm
Torsion spring

The 98-99 ranger had pvh power vacuum hubs
Otherwise same same

The 05+ sla rangers also got the larger front rotors similar to the 02+ sport and trac

2wd and 4 cyl rangers are coil springs, however some 4 cyl and small 6 cyl rangers can also have the sla torsion bars and can be converted from 2wd to 4wd just by bolting parts in (the mounts exists)

The rear is where the explorer and ranger differ, the explorer leafs are under the frame rails whereas the ranger leafs are outboard the frame rails
Of course rangers are spring over and explorers are spring under axle

99% sure it is an interference engine

Pushrod 4.0 ohv is non interference

Sohc 4.0 is interference engine

Only small differences between 96-97 and 98-01 front suspension.

Sway bar frame mounts are a bit different, as are torsion bar keys and brackets. Key covers different also.

97 doesn't have PATS while 2000 does but that is in your favor.

Check the inertia switch by the passenger footwell?

Back