Northeast 4X4'ing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Northeast 4X4'ing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am in Philly for the next 6 months and I too would like some info on places w/in a 3hr drive. Haven't found anything but muddy dredge roads. It's gonna be a long six months.

I have just got a 94 Explorer XLT and am itching to use the four wheel drive. Unfortunately, trials are noplace to be found around the Worcester area. Well at least legal places to drive. I guess the Mohawk Trail has some challengeing terrain because a Jeep Jamboree is being held there this summer, but I can't find info on where these places are.
Also in New Jersey in Pine Barrens there is a park with 500 miles of all levels of conditions (so I have heard.) This place is also listed on the Jeep page for the jamboree. Anyone who can add a place for some cheap thrills, please do! Maybe I should of got a Jeep?

Alright guys, I found the answer to our woes!
It's called the Paragon Adventure Park in Hazleton, Pa. It is a pay for play park. 15,000 acres of ur-restricted 4wheel drive land. I plan on checking it out on April 23.
Here is the web site w/ a map and description of the trails

http://www.bmja.org/BMJA%20Paragon/paragon.html

It is maintained by a decidedly jeep offroad club. And I think it costs around $25 for the week-end. I also found some info on the Pococnos. I will post that later.

Hope this helps

------------------
HIX

SteveUMD: Take a lap around Indian Lake and start at Proctor St, just past the pumping station. I used to live there when I was a kid and when I went back last Spring to see my Grandmother, the road behind my old house (#7) was still rutted, gravel, and dirt.. (Not much changes in 30 years... Except there's a mall where my old grade school was..) After it rains or snows, it was nearly impassable in a car.

NCOddBob

------------------
92 XLT
http://nuteknet.com/blaforce
http://nuteknet.com/blaforce/pix/mytruck.jpg

Thanks for that info. My friend told me about a place in go in Oxford but until I give my truck some mods I don't think it could handle it. I learned the hard way that until I give it some more ground clearance and maybe larger tires that I should stick to logging trails and such.

Anybody want to do a Northeast run like the guys out west? That place in PA seems like a possibility, I am in Connecticut not much here that is legal.

I just posted about the same info HIX has above to a new thread called Paragon Run in PA in April. We really shoul get some of us East coasters together for a run soon. April would be the perfect time to go. Please post your responces to the Paragon Run thread so they are organized into one instead of all over. I had forgotten that we had this tread out thier is why I posted the other one.
Thanks,
ChrisW

For anyone interested !
There is a 4x4 Club in Mass called "The Mass Mudders". They always have a trail or two for fun. One small group of members seem to go every weekend.
Anyone interested, I can e-mail the application.

------------------
Sandy Balzarini
n1mau@gis.net

[This message has been edited by Sandy (edited 03-24-99).]

I also found another site for those of you like Zach 91 XLT who live in the north east. The club is called the New England Offraoding Club. The site is http://www.thenetdesigners.com/offroad.htm and has some good info on it. It looks like they ride all over and often for those of you in that part of the country.

ChrisW

The Minuteman Off-Road, the Mass Mudders, and the New England 4WD Clubs have just completed a run this past weekend in the Bellingham, MA area.
There is a sand pit with plenty of hills to climb, trails for the beginner and advanced, and a MUD pit that is sticky plus. Even the best of the Mass Mudders vehicles had to be winched out.
For addition info contact the Minuteman Off Road Club at e-mail address: Orchid0426@aol.com, she is the treasurer and coordinator for runs.

------------------
Sandy Balzarini
n1mau@gis.net
'92 Navajo Project

Back