Notchy Turn Signal Lever FIX | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Notchy Turn Signal Lever FIX

Thanks for this. Thought I was the only one with a gritty blinker. Actually mines only bad when I push down. Pushing up is fairly smooth.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice try on the springs Pete165, oh well!

As for what is wrong, I think the ridges on the receptor piece are too well defined. The edges should be more gradual and not stepped like they are. BTW, the entire assembly is only ~$70, so worst case scenario, if you screw it up, it's a pretty minimal investment to get another one. But when you get it right, it'll put a smile on your face when you use the blinker. Smiled the whole way to work this morning, haha :D

Nice try on the springs Pete165, oh well!

As for what is wrong, I think the ridges on the receptor piece are too well defined. The edges should be more gradual and not stepped like they are. BTW, the entire assembly is only ~$70, so worst case scenario, if you screw it up, it's a pretty minimal investment to get another one. But when you get it right, it'll put a smile on your face when you use the blinker. Smiled the whole way to work this morning, haha :D
That sort of makes it seem that you drove all the way with your blinker on. ;):D
Glad you got it working for you.:thumbsup:

Peter

That sort of makes it seem that you drove all the way with your blinker on. ;):D
Glad you got it working for you.:thumbsup:

Peter

Yeah, it took forever to get to work, since I kept making turns just to use the blinkers!! :D

weird mine is completely smooth, I actually wish it had a little more click to it

I have a 2013 and I can't stand the lever. I'm going to give this a shot one day

Thanks for the detailed writeup.

Thankfully, this has never been a problem on my '11.

Yeah, I've got a 2013 XLT and this has driven me nuts since the first test drive.

This will be getting fixed this weekend with a Dremel... :)

Thanks for the info!

Yes...I had mine replaced under warranty and it is buttery smooth now!

So I took mine in today along with a few other things, and I just got off the phone with them and the shop supervisor says "there's no problem with it" which doesn't surprise me.

So when I get back over there I'll get them to grab some keys and we'll start comparing it to some others on the lot. I saw a 2011 Limited there earlier so I'll check that one for sure, and I'll get them to check a few others. Hopefully we can find a few that aren't like mine.

So I took mine in today along with a few other things, and I just got off the phone with them and the shop supervisor says "there's no problem with it" which doesn't surprise me.

So when I get back over there I'll get them to grab some keys and we'll start comparing it to some others on the lot. I saw a 2011 Limited there earlier so I'll check that one for sure, and I'll get them to check a few others. Hopefully we can find a few that aren't like mine.
Guaranteed the 2011 won't be like yours. ;):thumbsup:

Peter

So I had one of the other service guys come out, and I explained the issue I had with mine, to which he explained "Yes, if you want to lane change push it light, to lock it up push it all the way".

After a long sigh, I explained I knew how it worked - but I was concerned with how hard and offensively snapping it was to engage it fully.

I mentioned I heard it was an issue with the 2013 and 2011/12 were mostly fine to which he said "I think the signals were different in the previous years - so they wouldn't be the same - let's try another 2013". Now I didn't think they were different, but whatever.

So he goes and grabs some keys, goes out to the lot and comes back... "How did you make out?" I asked...

"I'll order you a new one..." :)

He said it was noticeably different from the other one he tried, now I didn't get a chance to feel it myself, but I'm guessing it must have been quite a bit smoother.

So now I'm waiting on 3 parts! Hitch cover (mine keeps popping off), Signal light switch, and fuel delivery system recall.

Oh well, at least it's getting replaced now!

Forgot to update this!

So they put a new turn signal module in under warranty and it's SMOOTH LIKE BUTTAH!

I'm just trying to get used to it now, I put the full signal on once in awhile now instead of the 3 flash lane change, but only because before I had to reef on it to get it to actually signal.

So if anyone else is suffering through this, go see your dealer.

I would like to thank Pete165 for this post on repairing the turn lever. My dealer would not replace the turn switch and noted that it was "normal behavior for this vehicle".

I took the switch out last night and slowly worked down the ridges with a dremel tool and smoothed down the tip of the needle.

Turn signal works very smooth now.

Thanks for pioneering this fix Pete165!!!

Making this a "sticky" in both the 'Discussion' and 'Modified' forums.

Peter

dealer said mine is fine........It is horrible. Like others have said, up is fine, down feels like its going to snap. I agree on at times I just dont use it.

dealer said mine is fine........It is horrible. Like others have said, up is fine, down feels like its going to snap. I agree on at times I just dont use it.

I asked them to check it with me before I left, and when I came back and they said it was fine I had them check other vehicles to compare. Didn't take them long to replace it after checking another... Now maybe I was just lucky, but I wouldn't take "works fine" as an answer - escalate it through Ford if you have to.

Hello Everyone,

I've been a lurker on this forum for quite some time and decided to join today. I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD loaded with every available option (including read twin DVD's). Mine was an early 2013 model and has about 28,000 miles now. I too had the issue with the turn signal and FORD actually replaced the entire stalk yesterday. The new unit is completely smooth... actually smoother than I can ever remember to be honest?

Anyhow, I took info from this forum to the dealer and of course they dismissed most of it. But after having the Service Manager come out and test my lever, he completely agreed that something was wrong and ordered an immediate replacement. No complaints at all about the new lever!

I joined the forum today because I need some honest assistance and feedback. I am hoping to start a new thread for this discussion. But in a nut shell, I have accumulated a lot of miles and debating on getting a 2014 that I can pamper a little bit more... a "do-over" so to speak. My challenge... the 2014 competition... and my 28K service track record that I have to question.

Thanks everyone... maybe my post will help others get that issue fixed with the turn signal lever.

=)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello Everyone,

I've been a lurker on this forum for quite some time and decided to join today. I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD loaded with every available option (including read twin DVD's). Mine was an early 2013 model and has about 28,000 miles now. I too had the issue with the turn signal and FORD actually replaced the entire stalk yesterday. The new unit is completely smooth... actually smoother than I can ever remember to be honest?

Anyhow, I took info from this forum to the dealer and of course they dismissed most of it. But after having the Service Manager come out and test my lever, he completely agreed that something was wrong and ordered an immediate replacement. No complaints at all about the new lever!

I joined the forum today because I need some honest assistance and feedback. I am hoping to start a new thread for this discussion. But in a nut shell, I have accumulated a lot of miles and debating on getting a 2014 that I can pamper a little bit more... a "do-over" so to speak. My challenge... the 2014 competition... and my 28K service track record that I have to question.

Thanks everyone... maybe my post will help others get that issue fixed with the turn signal lever.

=)
Welcome to the Forum dddurham1975.:wavey:
Nice of you to step out of the shadows and officially join our members here.;):thumbsup:
Glad to see that your dealer took care of your issue. Unfortunately not all dealers have been as accommodating.

Peter

Back