• Register Today It's free!

O/D button repair or replace ?

4modlite

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston,WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLS
2000 Explorer O/D button doesn't work.Should I repair it or is it better/easier to just replace the shift lever ? Found a couple complete steering columns on eBay for less than $150 with key.So would it be easier to replace the lever or just whole column ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first check fuse #27 .

I think replacing just the button is one option also...?

if necessary, the O/D button can be carefully pried out of the shifter handle. what can also happen is that the wires get pinched/broken from the tilt wheel action. if fuse #27 is out the O/D OFF, backup lights and rear defroster will not work.

Im know the rear def and b/u lights work because it did just pass inspection.I was pretty much thinking the same thing about the wiring in the column being pinched and or broken. So my question is this: Is it easier to replace the shifter with a new one-havent found just the lever by itself used on eBay.Im really leaning towards a new column because I also noticed the cruise buttons on left side of steering wheel have no actuation,like theyre glued down or something.The column I found was from a 2000 same color with good wheel-no bag-with the key for $135 free shipping. If I buy this column will I need to do anything special with theft system?

the key with the replacement column will not work with your PATS security module without reprogramming, as it will not be recognized. of course, you can transfer your old key/lock to the replacement column.

the cruise control buttons always disintegrate on these steering wheels. replacements are available for much less then $135 and they come with the switches for the right-hand side too.

i suggest you remove the trim collar from the steering column (couple of screws underneath) and check the O/D wires. you can also pull the O/D switch and check it. i'd do those things before replacing the column, but it's your time and money.

BTW, i don't know that the B/U lights or rear defroster are part of any inspection procedure. are you sure they work? pretty easy to just check the fuse instead of assuming.

The back up lights have to work in order to pass inspection here in WV,and fuse #27 is good.I just wasn't sure if it would be easier to replace the complete steering column rather than try this or try that and end up still replacing the cruise buttons and shift lever anyways.These two minor problems can wait as I have yet to pull motor apart and do head gaskets and water pump since its still overheating with the thermostat installed.Don't overheat with it out but it does have heat never seen anything like it.

Back up lights? Here in Texas they don't check that or the HMSL or the aim of the headlights. So long as the check engine light is not on you're about 80% to the good. Add brakes, wipers and power steering fluid and you're at 95%.

Here in WV can't have any lights in dash on,ABS,MIL can't be lit.Even the windows have to go up and down.Some inspection stations even check darkness of window tint,darkest it can be is 35% but there's more places that don't check it than places that do.

So if any of you were in my situation what would you do? I haven't been able to locate just a shift lever on eBay only steering columns.Can I buy a new one thru a local parts store or should I go thru Ford dealer. If anybody has a wiring diagram and knows how to repair instead of replacing can u send me a link or whatever to get this fixed.

Back