O/D Off light flashing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

O/D Off light flashing

chefsean

Reaction score
My overdrive off light is flashing continuously. Transmission replaced 12,200 miles ago. Seems to be working properly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same thing happen to me about a week ago while wheelin' for the first time on my new, bigger tires. I unhooked the negative battery terminal to let the computer reset itself, and I haven't seen the O/D Off light flash since. Hope this works for you too.

------------------
Brian Corff
'95 XLT 4x4 V6

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick it once and you suck forever.

Ok here is one thing that might be your problem. in the Transmission there is a Small Gasket, well it is Diagonally cut so that it can be placed over a Shaft, FORD has discovered the problem, and has a Replacement gasket that is Square cut. once this gasket is replaced you will not have the problem again. I had this same problem the day I Test Drove my Used 97 Explorer Sport at the Dealership. Beacue it was still under Warrenty, they replaced it free of Charge. well i hope i have answered your questions, if you would like to know more feel free to e-mail me at CBOUG76@yahoo.com

Chris

chefsean,

What year is your explorer? My 95 XLT 4x4's OD Off light starting blinking yesterday and I reset the computer to see if it would go off again and it hasn't. I'm a bit worried because I have to drive 700 miles to get back home... I talked to a friend who has a friend who is a mechanic at a Ford dealer and he said to try and get the codes read out(7-10 day wait at the dealer here). He
said a solenoid might have stuck causing the light to start blinking, but the tranny seems to be working fine to me.

Good luck,

Drew Payne

My "O/D Off" light went off again and I noticed that the tranny would "clunk" whenever it downshifted from 2nd to 1st gear. I checked the tranny fluid and it was chery red and full. I reset the computer again and drove it 700 miles home and it the light didn't go off again nor did it make any clunking sounds. I'm fearing a tranny rebuild even though it only has 61K on it and was rebuilt by the dealer at 35K due to a converter failure...not a very good rebuild it seems...

Any suggestions? How does one tell if the solenoids are just sticking or if the tranny is failing? Can I replace the solenoids without removing the tranny?

Thanks in advance.

Drew

Drew,

My '95 EB is doing the same thing. Just did it for the first time today. The OD light is blinking and I hear and feel a clunk as it goes down to first gear. Did you find out what the problem was with yours?

Rob

First of all from my experience I would have the codes checked from the PCM. If your have the particular code I think you have, which is the PCM is detecting a slipping trans, the PCM will go into a fault mode increasing transmission line pressures to prevent from further transmission problems. If after you folks reset the computer (disconnect the battery) the trans seems to shift normal (no slipping) then the fix is to replace the PCM. The PCM is too sensitive in sensing the slipping (which is actually not happening). The updated PCM will be less sensitive thus preventing the O/D light from coming on. Go visit your local Ford dealer and have the codes checked.

[This message has been edited by slow-demon (edited 12-28-1999).]

Try adjusting the intermediate band on the transmission. The adjustment screw is located on the left side of the trans. It is the second one from the front. The front one is the O/D band and the 2nd one back is the intermediate band. Loosen the nut and tighten the adjustment screw in and torque to 10ft lbs. Then back off 2 complete turns and cinch down the lock nut for the screw. Can't hurt anything trying. May save you a trans rebuild.

Rob,

Yes, resetting the computer did make the problem go away. I've driven it several thousand miles with no problems since. I was at 8000 feet elevation when it went off and was figuring the tranny was just being finicky, but I've truthfully been saving some $$ for the feared tranny rebuild. I think I'll do a fluid/filter change soon as a precaution.

I finally figured out how to get the codes out my car so next time I'll try to read them out.

Good luck,

Drew

Back