O2 Sensor Question!

Alto

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Home-Lake Mills, Wisconsin / Live-Saudi Arabia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 4DR XLT 4X4
I plan on replacing my O2 Sensors but at $150.00 a pair I know that they will get clogged again soon.
The truck has been here almost 3 months. After about 1 to 2 tanks of gas I noticed the change. I went from about 375 to 275 miles to the tank here then the O2 Sensors got clogged and now I'm getting about 200 miles to the tank.
I believe that the Leaded gas here has clogged them. It's not as bad as it sounds I do pay about 80 cents a gallon.

My 1st question is there some way that I can reclean my O2 Sensors?

My 2nd Question what about installing the new one's then covering them. And then pluging the hole. Making the sensor believe its ok.
I know Captain Planet would not be happy with me!
Some of the gas stations here carry unleaded but some don't they really don't advertise that fact. If they carry Leaded or Unleaded. I can't keep buying new O2's.
Is there some way that I can by pass the sensor and enjoy better MPG?

I know that Captain Planet would not be happy with me! What can I do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alto,
Before you start asking advice on O2 sensors, you should stop bragging about .80/gallan for gas! ;)

Sorry - I can't help you on the sensors. Maybe that explains my mileage... How can you tell if they are bad?

Jon

DID I MENTION 80 CENT A GALLON!!

DID I MENTION 80 CENTS A GALLON!!!

HaHa Hee Hee

Any how I asked the shop here to change mine.
When I went back to pick it up they said they were ok. I asked them to change them not see if they were still good or not.
Some people do not believe in preventive maintenance.

$ 0.80 $0.80 $0.80 $0.80

$0.80 $0.80

p.s. $0.80

!!!!

I would rather not drive my truck than put LEADED GAS in it!
Aside from destruction of your O2s, you can do damage to other engine parts like the injectors, etc.etc.

wow! I can't believe I heard that. You could be destroying your truck!

Anyway, your O2's are definitely fried from the lead. So your truck's computer is probably running in open-loop mode all the time, which means that your truck is producing lots of bad emissions right now. As far as covering up the holes, sure you can, and if you do your truck will run open-loop all the time. You can't fool them, because unless they're at 600degF the computer will ignore them anyway. I know you're in Saudi which is hot esp in summer but I know it's not 600degF.

I would be surprised if your truck was running well in open-loop. Is it running poorly? No wonder your mileage went down. In open loop mode, the computer bypasses the signals from the O2s, and sends a default amt of air/fuel to the engine; thus the bad mileage. All of our trucks run open loop in the first few minutes they're started in the morning. Then once the O2s heat up to about 600degF the computer starts accepting their input.

O2s could be cleaned theoretically but it's not worth the time and effort. There's another thread about that here.

If gas was .80 a gal. here I wouldnt bother replacing an 02 sensor.
What else does it hurt running rich?

-

the sad thing about it is that 3 years ago gas was only $.76/gallon here, now it's $1.64+

but i dont think i would run leaded gas, even if it was only $.80/gallon.

$0.38 Gallon!

When I first arrived here 2 1/2 years ago Gas was $0.38 a Gallon!

The gas here has changed They went from Leaded to Unleaded. But the problem is that they are mixing the gas to get rid of leaded I've heard that once the Leaded supply is gone its Unleaded only for them.
But until that time I was hoping to clean my present O2's because it only takes a tank or 2 to clog up the new sensor. Then I'm back where I started again.
On a brighter note I've heard that they may drop the price of gas here again. So many people here complained Could be just rumor but it would be nice to see $ 0.38 a Gallon again.

well figure Sadamm polluted the heck out of the air by burning all the wells. What is one explorer going to hurt? i recently replced my O2 sensors and payed about $20 for them. Send me an address and i'll mail you a few spares for a small fee.

Yeah....It's just wrong.

If you keep up the ANY just cents per gallon then the only thing you will see IS voices.

J/K your on the right path and it serves you right to change all the O2's....the FPR .....the MAF....the Cats and whatever else for a CHANCE at $.38 a gal.

Back