• Register Today It's free!

Odd Rear Window Wind Noise

Marty H.

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsland, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
My wife and I test drove a used 06 Explorer XLT today. It has 17,000 miles and is in excellent mechanical shape. We love the vehicle and have owned and explorer in the past.

We noticed on annoying issue. If we were driving over 40 mph and lowered one or both of the rear windows there is was this odd "harmonic" pressure vibration that began to set in. The pressure pulses were so hard that it you could feel it on your ear drums. The vehicle would vibrate with the pressure pulses. The pressure pulse/vibrations could be stopped by simply lowering either of the front windows enough to even out the pressure.

Has anyone else noticed this and is there a solution?

We have situations from time to time where the rear windows may be lowered without the front ones, so this is really annoying.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The same thing happens in my parent's 2005 Freestyle and there really isn't anything that can be done as far as I know. A few people I know get that with other cars of theirs, including Explorers and other newer cars in general.

The same thing happens in my parent's 2005 Freestyle and there really isn't anything that can be done as far as I know. A few people I know get that with other cars of theirs, including Explorers and other newer cars in general.

axiom,

Thanks. I figured it might be due to cars being more and more airtight these days. It seems that it would be something that would happen mostly on vans and suvs with rear windows that can be lowered. I was just curious if this was normal or if passing on this one might be a good idea because the next one likely won't do it.

Don't know the scientific explanation, but there must be one. Haven't noticed it (the air pressure pulsation or whatever you call it) in any of the cars we've owned, but it has been present in every SUV we've owned, rented, borrowed or ridden in. Lowering one of the front windows, even just a crack, always gets rid of it.

Yep, mine does it too depending on how far the windows are down. And my wife's Honda Accord does it too! Cracking a front window to equalize pressure helps.

Thanks to all that answered.

We have decided to buy the 06 XLT. I am once again an Explorer owner.

Um if you want to lower the windows in the rear and not get the helicopter noise crack one of the front windows a hair.

Thanks to all that answered.

We have decided to buy the 06 XLT. I am once again an Explorer owner.
Good to hear! :thumbsup: You made the right choice, no sense in letting a little air turbulence ruin the fun.

Back