Odometer reset? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Odometer reset?

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Has anyone had a second generation's odometer reset? Who did/does this? How much?

I would like to get the odometer in my new white face instruments reset from its current 6 miles to my actual mileage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A Ford Dealer can do it - just depends if they will. But, of coarse, they only roll up - not down (which in your case isn't a problem). Other than Ford, I'm not exactly sure how you'd do it. Good luck.

-Drew

I hear some transmission shops will do it too.

96limitedX said:
yes the dealer will do it.

How much? Do they have to pull the cluster or is it done with some electronic magic?

im not really sure...lol but i know when we brought a 91 f-250 cluster into the service department it took a few mins and cost about $30. but that was a few years ago.

pretty simple. . i bought one off of ebay cause mine died so i played with the old one and then did the same to the one i bought.
remove the cluster to start with, I have done it both ways from the front and from the rear..
from the front I have done with it still on the vehicle you just have to remove the plastic cover then you take a pointed object. i used an awl and put it between the nubers on the odometer and you can with a little force move them and you can actually hear them click Just do not touch the numbers as the white paint with be altered, and DO not use your fingers cause of the oil will leave marks on everything..
My opinion it is so much easier to do from the back of the odometer...I have added miles removed miles depending on what ever the new odometer said obviously only to make it match what your vehicles true mileage is...

very very simple to do and you will not damage anyrhing

davidmmm69 said:
pretty simple. . i bought one off of ebay cause mine died so i played with the old one and then did the same to the one i bought.
remove the cluster to start with, I have done it both ways from the front and from the rear..
from the front I have done with it still on the vehicle you just have to remove the plastic cover then you take a pointed object. i used an awl and put it between the nubers on the odometer and you can with a little force move them and you can actually hear them click Just do not touch the numbers as the white paint with be altered, and DO not use your fingers cause of the oil will leave marks on everything..
My opinion it is so much easier to do from the back of the odometer...I have added miles removed miles depending on what ever the new odometer said obviously only to make it match what your vehicles true mileage is...

very very simple to do and you will not damage anyrhing

David,
ok I found your write-up about this. Did you take the needles off when you adjusted the odometer from the back? Looks to me it would be easier to do from the front? Anyway, Ill give it another look...

i do it from the front.. and no i do not take the needles off..
usually 2 clicks for a nmber to go back or forward one number..
just do not touch it iwth yoyur fingers.. or the grease will be visable..

not really a write up but next time i do it i will definatly take pictures.

since this i think is a topic of much discussion...

David,

Care to help out a fellow Bay Stater? I just installed the Sport cluster in my 97 today, and need to add a 100K miles to it. I figured an experienced person might handle it better than a rookie! :p

Joe

why add 100k miles just leave it alone and it makes you feel better lol.
I wish i could do that with the digital readout on my 2002 cause i am at 98000 now..

davidmmm69 said:
why add 100k miles just leave it alone and it makes you feel better lol..
Nah, I'm paranoid! I like to keep it accurate.

Joe

Have 04 Sport Trac I need to reset mine to 48000 it's showing 184000. The dealer wants to change whole PCM, any ideas? Great posts on standard odometer.

Back