OEM GPS Compatibility? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OEM GPS Compatibility?

ST4X4

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Limited V8 4X4
Hi Everybody :)

Just bought a 2010 Sport Trac with only 120 miles on it - it replaced my 2008 model - love the design/comfort/size so much thought I better get a replacement before they're all gone ;)

Anyway, my '08 was an XLT and shortly after buying it in Jan 2009 I installed an OEM Ford Nav/GPS unit that I bought off eBay. Was really easy other than I had to have it programmed by a third party back in early '09.

Fast forward to now and my 2010 Limited V8 4X4! I've noticed that 2009 and 2010 Sport Tracs have a vaguely different GPS unit, is anyone else privy to the difference between it and the ones that fit in 2007 and 2008 models? Both units look virtually the same, but the newer one has a hard drive/3D map news, plays DVDs and works with SYNC.

Before I get any more long-winded, just curious if anyone has successfully installed the 2007-2008 OEM NAV unit in their 2009-2010 Sport Trac? I'd prefer the newer system for it's better features, but they seem next to impossible to find for less then MSRP!

Cheers,

BB

The older style will fit the 2010. If you want the newer style you will have to get the headunit, amp (it's a separate unit now) and the jumper harness that allows it to just plug in. As far as getting it programmed to work with your vehicle is another matter, as I'm not sure 3rd party vendors can do it. The newer ones have your VIN on them and may only be able to be programmed by a dealer. They harness and amp do show up on ebay from time to time and if I remember correctly, they cost about $300 for both.

Beware Factory Nav Systems

FWIW the unit that came with my '07 can't play DVDs, but does have a DVD reader for the Navteq disc. When I bought my '97 used, and read the manual that told me that I can get updated map discs, I did. $200 + shipping later, I was the proud owner of the latest (and probably last) update, dated 2008.

I could have spent a lot less than $200 to get a "stick to the window" unit that has more frequent (and far less expensive) updates, but I don't like showing auto burglars anything to tempt them to break into my ride, and it's not practical to hide it away every single time I park. So I paid the $200 and continue to keep up to date paper maps.

If you are absolutely certain that you'll never go any place new or changed since 2008, then it might be worth the downgrade to the older unit. Otherwise, be glad that your new unit will probably be able to lead to a friend or relative in a new subdivision, and will be able to save driving time because it knows about the new highway extension, etc. etc.

Back