OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike

First, when my Ex Limited comes in, I'm replacing the Hankooks with Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires which have a little more aggressive tread for a '3 season tire'. Come Fall, I plan to get the 17" steel rims and put 245/65R17 Winter tires on. To me, safety trumps looks.
I can always check to see if there are some good looking wheel covers for the steelies! For the past 10 years I have always used dedicated Winter tires.:thumbsup:

I agree, if you need extreme weather snow/ice tires its best to have them already mounted on plain steel wheels ready for install at anytime.

Then leave the OEM wheels alone for spring/summer

Out here we get a lot more rain then snow and ice, these OEM tires have done very well in the rain with the TMS, no complaints.

Bottom line is we all have different weather conditions to deal with so our requirements will always be different.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So far, I am pretty happy with the Hankook H426's on the Limited. Running 35 PSI.

So far, I am pretty happy with the Hankook H426's on the Limited. Running 35 PSI.
I have read a few posts here that new owners are happy with these tires and that is a good thing. But I just read the reviews on Discount Tire Direct. These tires was given 1 1/2 stars out of 5. Looks like they were OEM equipment on Sonatas. Other than lack of performance in snow, which is understandable since it is a 3 season tire and not a Winter tire, the main complaint was premature wear. They were being replaced at anywhere from 18,000 to 22,000 miles, and these were on cars, not on a heavier SUV. Add that to the reviews on the Tirerack site and it is a concern for me. Again, I have no first hand experience with them, just reading what seems to be a majority of negative reviews on them. When I get my Limited, changing these tires will be my first priority.

How are the Hankook's working out?

There were many posts in the last month or two about worry about the standard Hankook's on the limited Ex's. My Limited will be in this week hopefully and I wanted your real world experiences with this tire. Are they as bad as the tirerack reviews say?

I just read the tirerack reviews. The bad reviews were from those people who didn't like their snow performance. Anytime people complain about tires and snow, it throws up a red flag for me. So much of driving in the snow is about how you drive. I'm not saying these people are right or wrong... I just don't have enough information to make an objective decision.

There was a thread earlier where people thought the tires did a fine job for being OEM.

The problem with tirerack reviews is it reviews that make/model of tire, not the size so someone could be reviewing a15" tire and not a 20". I read somewhere hankook developed this soecific size tire for only the explorer.

The problem with tirerack reviews is it reviews that make/model of tire, not the size so someone could be reviewing a15" tire and not a 20". I read somewhere hankook developed this soecific size tire for only the explorer.

most of the specs of the tire are the same be it for a 15" rim or a 20" rim. The tread pattern is still the same, just wider or narrower as needed for the specific tire size. Their reviews still help to give you a general feeling about the tire. If you only saw reviews from people with your same vehicle and tire combo you probably wouldn't see any reviews at all most of the time.

I've had my new Explorer since the end of February. Since then I have dealt with two good snow storms. During the first I was on a hill following a school bus and three pickups. As we climbed I had to stop three times to let the school bus and two pickups turn around and go back down the hill as they couldn't make it. I crawled up in snow mode in my limited from a dead stop on the incline each of those times and had no slippage whatsoever. These 20" Hankook's have been awesome. The only note I do have is that they sometimes have a "boing" sound like a basketball hitting the floor, when I hit a bump.

These 20" Hankook's have been awesome. The only note I do have is that they sometimes have a "boing" sound like a basketball hitting the floor, when I hit a bump.

I agree. The 20" Hankook's have been very good. Been in a couple snow storms already. Most recently 2 weeks ago on a trip in Buffalo. The tires do great in stopping & starting in the snow. These tires are as good as any tires I've used on my 3 prior Explorers, including Michellin, Goodyear and Bridgestone.

As for the "boing" noise, check your cold tire pressures. You may be slightly over-inflated.

Another review here from a Canadian on the east coast.
We had a boat load of snow since I got my Ex. As previously stated by my countryman from upper Canada ( No insult intended ) the tires work awesome in the snow. We have been through storms of 10-14 inches with freezing rain and have not had any difficulty with traction. As for dry road conditions or rain, they work perfectly fine. No excessive road noise and the ride is smooth and sweet. We'll see how they hold up overtime, only had the Ex for 3 mos. So time will tell. Cheers.

Hankook Tires

Just got a 2011 Limited with 20s. Not crazy about the Hankook tires. Anyone have an opinion?

Just got a 2011 Limited with 20s. Not crazy about the Hankook tires. Anyone have an opinion?

I have the same tires on my 2009 Flex LTD, they are crap. I have 55,000 klm on them and they are toast. I am waiting for my EX LTD to come in any day, and I am working out a deal with my dealer to put Michelens on for me.Most of the others here have said they are GOOD for an OEM tire. Maybe they have changed the compound .

They ride like crap and they are noisy. On tirerack.com they are the lowest rated of that size...I should've negotiated a deal with my dealer too!

They ride like crap and they are noisy. On tirerack.com they are the lowest rated of that size...I should've negotiated a deal with my dealer too!

Must be different than the ones on my LTD. IMO - the ride is great and the noise is less than I had on any other SUV (with 17-18" rims)... I thought there was a discussion on here that the tirerack site did not have the exact same tire, therefore the comparison would not be accurate?

I posted a thread on these some time ago. One of the worst rated tires by consumers that I have read about. I replaced mine with the 20" Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires the same day that I picked up my Explorer. I found a local tire shop that was willing to give me $80 a tire for the Hankooks. Most others weren't interested in giving me anything for them. Planning to put 17" steel wheels on for a set of Winter tires come Fall.

I don't have my X yet so I can not say either way. I am no sure what you are comparing the ride to because they are 50s so there is not as much sidewall as the 18s. I also looked at the reviews on TireRack after the posts on here and noticed that all the reviews on there were Hyundais or other small cars which could be a car issue. I plan on getting 22s on the X when it comes in so the Hankooks will be winters.

that's disappointing- a salesman told me on the phone that the 20 inch wheels come with high end Pirellis. too good to be true I guess

While I was waiting on my EX to arrive, I saw all the concerns about the tire and explored options. I decided to try them first before I did anything. A week after I picked up my EX (FWD) I drove from Tampa to Canton, Ohio and back, I hit huge downpours, snow in Ohio and dry roads as well. I had no problems from the tire what so ever. Had no slippage or any skidding. After the trip I am fine with tire that they put on, I don't know about longevity but that will work itself out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While I was waiting on my EX to arrive, I saw all the concerns about the tire and explored options. I decided to try them first before I did anything. A week after I picked up my EX (FWD) I drove from Tampa to Canton, Ohio and back, I hit huge downpours, snow in Ohio and dry roads as well. I had no problems from the tire what so ever. Had no slippage or any skidding. After the trip I am fine with tire that they put on, I don't know about longevity but that will work itself out.

I agree, I've had my Ex about 2 weeks. Both in dry and wet conditions, the tires are working well. They are also very quiet with little or no noise from the treads. I'm pleasantly surprised and will keep these tires until they wear out or if any other issue surfaces.

Back