OEM Or Aftermarket Brakes? Recommendations. | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OEM Or Aftermarket Brakes? Recommendations.

[rant] Argh... I hate when my threads get moved and merged on this forum, just because someone else has a similar idea/thread from YEARS ago - 4+ in this case. Kind of makes a forum pointless if people can't have their own threads, because then things get lost and questions don't get answered. [/rant]
Threads/posts generally get moved when there is an existing thread on the same issue/topic. That is why we ask members to use the forum's 'Search' feature first before starting a new thread. It doesn't always matter how old the existing thread is in some cases as long as the information is still applicable to the topic. This way all the info is contained in a single thread as opposed to multi threads on the same topic/issue. Nothing should be lost or go unanswered since the thread will automatically go back to the top of the main page. In many cases, the answer may already be contained in the existing thread and it also saves members from having to perhaps repeat a post in the new thread that they have already posted in the existing one.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Threads/posts generally get moved when there is an existing thread on the same issue/topic. That is why we ask members to use the forum's 'Search' feature first before starting a new thread. It doesn't always matter how old the existing thread is in some cases as long as the information is still applicable to the topic. This way all the info is contained in a single thread as opposed to multi threads on the same topic/issue. Nothing should be lost or go unanswered since the thread will automatically go back to the top of the main page. In many cases, the answer may already be contained in the existing thread and it also saves members from having to perhaps repeat a post in the new thread that they have already posted in the existing one.

Peter
The only reply that I actually got was when my thread was a thread of its own, which was extremely helpful. This particular thread's activity is 15+ months old, this thread is 4+ years old, and things are not always the same... technology changes. That's what irritates me. My last thread got merged into something completely unrelated to my issue, which lost visibility until it got separated again. I hope you understand my frustrations with that. I totally get your standpoint of not wanting people to repeat themselves, but do understand that not always everything is the same or applicable anymore, plus opinions change... especially in the age of this thread.

[rant] Argh... I hate when my threads get moved and merged on this forum, just because someone else has a similar idea/thread from YEARS ago - 4+ in this case. Kind of makes a forum pointless if people can't have their own threads, because then things get lost and questions don't get answered. [/rant]

Yeah I ran into your mention of the OEx pads and looked into them a bit, so I appreciate that mention elsewhere! I ended up finding plenty of positive information behind them that I just went for it. My rear brakes are done and I need to get them replaced, so Rock Auto it was for my order. ETA said Friday, but I got an email for Thursday at the latest... so I'm happy. Rotors are cheap enough that I went with the Wagner e-coat. Hell, everything was cheap enough that I am just going to do all four discs and pads. I'm planning on keeping my 2015 for another 18-24 months, so I may as well. I don't want to get into trade territory with crummy brakes, then the dealer beats me down.
Although my ranger is older, I recently swapped my rear drums to disc brakes from an 03 Mustang GT, I went with aftermarket cross drilled and slotted discs and mild performance pads.

Hello, I just purchased a 2015 Explorer Limited with only 9K on the odometer and it's great. I just wanted opinions on replacement parts when the time comes, namely brake pads and rotors. I plan on doing that work myself, and I'm inclined to go OEM/Motorcraft, since the vehicle is still under warranty.

I have read that AutoZone's top of the line parts exceed OEM requirements. I am also looking at ceramic pads as the choice to use for low dust and noise. Opinions are solicited and welcomed!
I've used the NAPA brand fleet
Hello, I just purchased a 2015 Explorer Limited with only 9K on the odometer and it's great. I just wanted opinions on replacement parts when the time comes, namely brake pads and rotors. I plan on doing that work myself, and I'm inclined to go OEM/Motorcraft, since the vehicle is still under warranty.

I have read that AutoZone's top of the line parts exceed OEM requirements. I am also looking at ceramic pads as the choice to use for low dust and noise. Opinions are solicited and welcomed!
I've used Napa Brand brakes but the Fleet level. Never had an issue with warping or gassing out and I'm hard on my brakes

I spent a lot of time looking at a number of options. The motorcraft rotors have changed and are no longer vented around the center hub. Despite this change, I went with motorcraft rotors front and rear and Yellow EBC pads. Braking distance is significantly improved. Yellows took a bit to bed properly but it was worth the wait.

Hello Need help deciding which brake pads to use. nothing real high end just something good
rotors are in good shape

any ideas would be helpful Thx

I'm a fan of Wagner pads. There are a number of versions that fit our Explorers and I have used ThermoQuiet with good success. I currently have the Wagner OEx on my Lincoln MKC. Put them on yesterday and am in the process of breaking them in now. So far so good...

I pretty much stick with getting Motorcraft rotors from RockAuto if possible. They seem to be high quality and resistant to pulsating, which is my biggest pet peeve when driving a car...

What is the best brake kit to replace the OEM brakes! My suv has 74K miles but currently stops great and I’m looking for a great long lasting set of pads and rotors to replace them with!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I have merged your thread with this existing one. There are others that you can find using the 'Search' feature at the upper right of the page.
If the OEM ones have served you well, why not stick with them?

Peter

What is the best brake kit to replace the OEM brakes! My suv has 74K miles but currently stops great and I’m looking for a great long lasting set of pads and rotors to replace them with!
I just replaced the pads and rotors all round on my Mountaineer and did a good bit of research in the process. IMO, the key to picking a good rotor is to choose a brand that has a good reputation and not some off brand with no track record. I went with Brembo fully coated rotors and Akebono ultra premium pads. Brembo and Akebono are highly respected brands and are reasonably priced. So far I am very impressed with the pads and rotors and are a stark difference with the old pads and rotors. I also flushed the brake fluid which I recommend doing. The Brembo rotors I linked above are fully coated against corrosion which, IMO, should be a must for vehicles living in rust belt areas regarding rotor longevity.

Back