• Register Today It's free!

OEM Radius Arms

badge49

Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4X4
The other day I saw a 2nd Gen. Eddie Bauer with OEM rear radius arms. If you took that OEM setup and did a simple SOA, would those little radius arms hold up or bind too much?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The other day I saw a 2nd Gen. Eddie Bauer with OEM rear radius arms. If you took that OEM setup and did a simple SOA, would those little radius arms hold up or bind too much?

?? Umm, no you didn't. I'm not sure what you saw, but it either wasn't a second-gen EB, or it wasn't a stock rear radius arm.... ALL stock second gens were solid rear axles on leaf springs. (To my knowledge) Ford has never used radius arms on the rear of any vehicle. The FRONT of the first-gen Rangers and Explorers, yes, but not on a second gen Explorer...

do you mean these?

attachment.php

Yeah those little traction bars came on all the V8s. Which that Eddie probably was. If you did a SOA on a V8 you'd need to either remove those (which I did) or lengthen them.

Yeah those little traction bars came on all the V8s. Which that Eddie probably was. If you did a SOA on a V8 you'd need to either remove those (which I did) or lengthen them.

For a SOA application, would a lengthened set of those fix axle wrap?

Aaah, yeah, forgot about those... But they're not radius arms. They're called 'anti-wind-up' bars in the factory service manual. Radius arms are a whole 'nother ball-game. That's why I was confused...

As for using them with an SOA to prevent axle wrap, I'm gonna guess probably not. At that point, you've changed the geometry enough that the mounting point is going to be different, so lengthening them is a must.

-Joe

Back