Off road sport trac? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Off road sport trac?

Way to make and entrance! Welcome back Lono!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks guys, I'm still not done but it's slowly getting there. I've been thinking about trying to buy the Sport Bar back from the MyST member I sold it to lately but it just wouldn't go on the Trac now since I need the tonneau cover on so I can Huallaga the stroller, etc... I do regret selling it simply because I was 1of 7 people in north America to have one.

The only reason I didn't make an offer on it was because it would look terrible on my truck... chrome and polished stainless dont do well with silver. If it was black I woulda been on that

I need to call the guy so he can send me pictures of it on his Trac, I don't think he's even installed it yet.

Just called him and he is actually been trying to get ahold of me cause he's moving out west and needs to sell off a bunch of cars and toys, etc... He said I had 1st dibs, I asked him when I sold it. It's been sitting in his garage since he bought it. If anyone is interested let me know, not sure if I have the funds to buy it back right now. He's moving in a couple weeks so he's gotta sell it by then.

by the way woodlands sorry if any of us sound a little brash about this. many of us trac owners are avid off-roaders and like to show the capabilities of this truck. i have turned many people towards the sport trac by showing it's off-road capabilities.

No, i understand. I dont/didnt want to piss anyone off. It's just when i bought my truck it was stock but it was sitting on some big ole bf goodrich a/t tires and it looked mean. I didnt know alot about sport tracs. I was actually looking for a full size truck but when i saw the track i was impressed. It looked mean as hell sitting there so i had to buy it. I am the kind of guy that buys something and then learns about it later. so i was just looking alot of stuff up and of course you run into the jeep, avalanche and other idiots that say a sport trac is no good off road but i was reading it on alot of reviews like car and driver, msn, edmunds and other stuff. So i just thought i would ask. I do love looking around this site and seeing all the bad ass tracs on here though. If i didnt waste all my money on bows and hunting stuff i would be into building mine up.

An Avalanche is just too big for off road and their owners just don't know it because they're more of the "bro-truck" kinda guys with big Monster stickers on the rear window. Off road to those guys is crawling over the mall curbs; mall crawlers.

Jeep owners have an excuse because they've been told that only Jeeps are good off road and even Hummers suck. Sport Tracs aren't seen off road that often, so I could see how they'd have that impression.

@Rebel... how much does he want?

An Avalanche is just too big for off road and their owners just don't know it because they're more of the "bro-truck" kinda guys with big Monster stickers on the rear window. Off road to those guys is crawling over the mall curbs; mall crawlers.

Jeep owners have an excuse because they've been told that only Jeeps are good off road and even Hummers suck. Sport Tracs aren't seen off road that often, so I could see how they'd have that impression.

There is a kid on campus here with an Avalanche that has a solid axle in the front, big 20" XDs, 35" Nittos and a huge monster sticker on the rear window lol. The kid is a frat guy and apparently its just his show truck... :rolleyes:

And the main reason I dont like jeeps, and chrysler all together, is the owners... about 90% of the ppl I talk to are always MOPAR! this and HEMI! that... very iggnorant and arrogant people...

Gen 1 are limited by the long wheelbase more than anything else. How well it does depends on what you want to do.
The biggest difference makers are tires and a rear limited-slip or locker.
The Trac does suffer from a poor (for off-roading) front suspension that isn't real strong and doesn't have a lot of travel but most late-model 4x4's have an IFS anyway. If you drive it right you'd be surprised what even a relatively stock Trac will do. My old mildly built '05 rocked off-road. My '08 has never been off-road and isn't likely to go. No skid plates, no front tow hooks or anywhere to put them, and the ground clearance is awful. No biggie, I have 4x4's mostly for getting around in the snow anyway.

The hill here is steeper than it looks in the pic.

SThill3.jpg

There is a kid on campus here with an Avalanche that has a solid axle in the front, big 20" XDs, 35" Nittos and a huge monster sticker on the rear window lol. The kid is a frat guy and apparently its just his show truck...

Well, there ya go. I nailed it on the head, lol. Show truck? I don't understand that. I will never own a vehicle that is a "show" vehicle. It's like having an expensive aged whiskey that you "show." What's the point if it doesn't get used?

The Trac does suffer from a poor (for off-roading) front suspension that isn't real strong and doesn't have a lot of travel

I'd consider the D35 a pretty strong front end; as strong as a D44 anyway. Can't disagree about the travel, though. Sucks to feel like you're about to tip over when you know you should be sitting pretty level.

I'll ask but probably what I sold it to him for. Considering there's only four that are left, two of the seven trucks that had them rolled and one had a tree fall on it during the bad snow storm last winter.

i laughed out loud when i read "broitruck". thats the best way to describe the avalanche and the dudes that drive them.

A.K.A. "30 thousand dollar millionaires." We all know who these guys are. Lots of Ed Hardy stuff to go with the Monster sticker. Don't be that guy, lol.

A.K.A. "30 thousand dollar millionaires." We all know who these guys are. Lots of Ed Hardy stuff to go with the Monster sticker. Don't be that guy, lol.

haha, every time i hear that saying i laugh.

classic. dont forget the affliction t-shirts, and big gallon jug of water that they carry around with them in the gym as they slam weights and grunt so everyone in the gym looks at them.

There's a freakin ton of frat guys in their pavement queen trucks at Clemson too. Posses me off cus all they do is go find a tiny mid puddly and spin the wheels real quick then say they go off roading.

Before I lifted my truck it was bone stock except new shocks and I was thoroughly surprised at its capabilities even with rock crawling. Off road in general I think it's a very good vehicle but does lack suspension travel up front and ground clearance. It took me 4 years o finally start but now that's I've lifted it up I don't have to worry as much. John Rock, Chad, Rebel, Lono, and Offtrac were definitely big pushers for me to go ahead with the project.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive never met anyone who takes their trac off road who has ever *****ed about it. Ive only gotten mine stuck twice, and hung up on the frame once. while Ive pulled out heeps and other junk ,usually right after they got done bad mouthing my truck.

all I have is a TT and 32" duratracs and its a solid machine for what I use it for

Back