Solved - OHV Coolant change doesn't take full 3 gallons? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved OHV Coolant change doesn't take full 3 gallons?

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

TsherryUSA

Reaction score
City, State
PORTLAND
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford Explorer 4WD 5spd
So I did a coolant change today. After draining the old coolant, I couldn't get 3 gallons of distilled water in the radiator even with running the engine. I threw some extra in the reservoir and drove for 15min with normal engine temp.

After the engine cooled, I drained the distilled water completely (ran engine). When it came time to fill the coolant, I couldn't even fit a full 2 gallons including filling the reservoir to the cold fill line. Drove it for 15min and temps were normal. Is it usual for the engine to not take the 3 gallons that the manual states? Is there something besides the radiator and reservoir that I should have drained? Seems weird that I couldn't even get a full 2...

Appreciate any advices.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do you have single or dual core radiator?
There is a bunch of coolant still in the engine and heater core when you do a drain and fill............ 2 to 2.5 gallons is about normal for a OHV with a dual core radiator, many were shipped with a single core which holds way less

@TsherryUSA

What 410Fortune said ^^^

And I'll add/ask - did you have the heater temp dial turned on full hot and the heater on during your drain & fill procedure?

There's at least a quart or so in the heater core and heater lines.

RE: Coolant refill amount; Don't stress it - you probably have a single core radiator - mine does.

If I remember correctly - My Ex takes a little over 2 gallons, and at most 2.5 gallons for a flush/refill and that's including the overflow tank.

Drive it a week, make sure you turn on the heater when driving to allow full coolant circulation.

The engine will burp out air, and the level in your overflow tank will drop as that occurs.

Don't remove the radiator cap! Refill 50/50 coolant in the overflow tank , and soon the level will stabilize in the tank when all the air is gone.

HTH -

Thanks for the advices. Yes, I was running the heater and was getting HOT air. I'll keep an eye on the overflow this week.

I guess I was getting anxious about it bc I also added a flush additive to the distilled water. Probably not good for that to sit in the engine if it wasn't able to all get out I'm guessing. I was running it and giving gas with the drain open though... should've got it all out.

Update, maybe we can mark solved?
After a few hours of driving the overflow level went down. I've since filled it to the cold fill line and got 2 gal and change in the vehicle.

Thanks all.

Update, maybe we can mark solved?
After a few hours of driving the overflow level went down. I've since filled it to the cold fill line and got 2 gal and change in the vehicle.

Thanks all.
My owners manual says it could take 7500!!!! miles for the coolant to fully stabilize. Just quoting, take it with a grain of salt. But I would check it the new few fillups.

Back