Oil change in the wilderness | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil change in the wilderness

If I was burning a quart of oil in 1,000 miles, I’d dump the car.

As for the original question, I’m sure any of the 3 options would have been perfectly fine. Of course, I’d change it myself off road before driving more than 50 miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unacceptable. Need written/notarized statement from manufacturer. Thanks. ;-)

Besides, I already posted that article.
Oh sorry I didn't catch that

My new and old shoc NEVER burned any noticeable oil on the dip stick
And the old engine had 280xxx plus miles on it

Unacceptable. Need written/notarized statement from manufacturer. Thanks. ;-)

Besides, I already posted that article.

I am still waiting for something from Ford that says it is acceptable for you to burn a quart of oil every 1-2k. Does not need to be notarized but would like to see 1 piece to back up that statement. Also don't need wise comments either. You made the statement that Ford says it, I would like to see it.

I called them and they said no way
They will give me anything on paper and I don't believe the service advisor about the consumption of oil

Quart of oil every 1-2k
Wouldn't that kill your cats

From the 2018 Explorer service manual:

Oil Consumption Test

1. NOTE: Once all of the previous conditions are met, carry out an oil consumption test.

Drain the engine oil and remove the oil filter. Install a new manufacturer-specified oil filter. Make sure the vehicle is positioned on a level surface. Refill the oil pan to a level one liter (quart) less than the specified fill level, using manufacturer-specified oil.
  1. Run the engine for 3 minutes (if hot) or 10 minutes (if cold). Allow for a minimum 10-minute drainback period and then record the oil level shown on the oil level indicator. Place a mark on the backside of the oil level indicator noting the oil level location.
  1. Add the final one liter (quart) to complete the normal oil fill. Restart the engine and allow it to idle for 2 minutes. Shut the engine down.
  1. After a 10-minute drainback period, record the location of the oil level again. Mark the oil level indicator with the new oil level location. (Note: Both marks should be very close to the MIN-MAX upper and lower limits or the upper and lower holes on the oil level indicator. These marks will exactly measure the engine's use of oil, with a one quart differential between the new marks.) Demonstrate to the customer that the factory-calibrated marks on the oil level indicator are where the oil should fall after an oil change with the specified fill amount. Explain however, that this may vary slightly between MIN-MAX or the upper and lower holes on the oil level indicator.
  1. Record the vehicle mileage.
  1. Advise the customer that oil level indicator readings must be taken every 320 km (200 mi) or weekly, using the revised marks as drawn. Remind the customer that the engine needs a minimum 10-minute drainback for an accurate reading and that the oil level indicator must be firmly seated in the tube prior to taking the reading.
  1. When the subsequent indicator readings demonstrate a full liter (quart) has been used, record the vehicle mileage. The mileage driven should not be less than 4,800 km (3,000 mi). The drive cycle the vehicle has been operated under must be considered when making this calculation. It may be necessary to have the customer bring the vehicle in for a periodic oil level indicator reading to closely monitor oil usage.

I am still waiting for something from Ford that says it is acceptable for you to burn a quart of oil every 1-2k. Does not need to be notarized but would like to see 1 piece to back up that statement. Also don't need wise comments either. You made the statement that Ford says it, I would like to see it.
I'm not going to dig through the entire internet or try to find the specific reference in an industry mag/journal or elsewhere to which ford engine the statement applied to at what time, but the info has been posted for years about many manufacturers and what they have considered normal oil consumption. Please note that I said to ask Ford and they will probably say 1 qt every 1-2k was acceptable because they have said it in the past. It looks like jmr posted the specific detail on the 2018 explorer which states no more than 1 qt in 3k miles is acceptable. So my overgeneralized comment was off by 1K miles specific to the 2018 explorer, which is why I said check with ford for specifics on your engine.

Here is a reference from an Amsoil dealer specific to Ford -> Top 40 Reasons for Motor oil Consumption For example, Ford Motor Company considers consumption as high as one quart of oil per 1,000 miles to be acceptable in a gasoline engine.

Ford 4.6L 2V oil consumption test - Ford 4.6L oil consumption "Vehicles in normal service should get at least 1,450 km per liter (900 miles per quart) after 16,000 km (10,000 miles) of service. High speed driving, towing, high ambient temperature and other factors may result in greater oil use." This was from 2010, but if you want to dig into it, you can see if the current test still references the same info.

Ford 5.0L from late 80s/early 90s referencing 1 qt in 900 miles - http://lib.americanmuscle.com/files/contentgenerator/foxbody-mustang-info-specs.html/90-1-9.pdf

More recently, I believe there have been some concerns with the GT350 - High Oil Consumption Again, sorry, but I am not going to dig into everything Ford has ever said about oil consumption and find all the info for you. If you want to, you are more than welcome to do your own research. You are also welcome to stick your head in the sand like an ostrich. I personally don't care which option you go with.

The bigger concern for those running extended OCIs is to regularly check your oil levels. If you happen to be the person whose engine consumes about a qt every 3k, you may not like what you see when 10k miles rolls around and you go for an oil change (assuming you don't have an issue before that).

Please also note that I wasn't personally saying 1 qt every 1, 2 or 3K miles was normal. I consider anything more than 1 qt every 5-6K to be excessive for normal driving, but I don't expect anyone to really give a **** what I think. Everyone should do their own research and decide what is best for them.

I called them and they said no way
They will give me anything on paper and I don't believe the service advisor about the consumption of oil

Quart of oil every 1-2k
Wouldn't that kill your cats
It’ll get you out of the warranty period, and that’s all Ford cares about at this point. They been becoming more and more light duty and throw-away vehicles since the late 90s.

Since the oil plays a big part in cooling engine components, I have never let an engine of any kind get down to the minimum level. I'm 80 and we had a saying years ago and that was, "oil is cheaper than bearings." Still true to this day especially if you have a turbo charger or two under the hood. My 2c.

Back