Oil Change interval | Page 38 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

Oil change interval increased on 5th Gens??

Bought a new 2017 X last Nov, and now have 4600 miles on it. I found the oil reset button in the menu, and it says 55% remaining. That would put it at about 10k miles for an oil change. Is that possible? They recommend full synthetic oil, so in the real world, 10K mikes is correct. Thanks, Ed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is correct. Ford has been recommending a 10k (or less) “interval” on most of their vehicles for several years, by saying we should follow the oil monitor on the car. It’s not set as a mile for mile interval. It may be a lot less than 10k, but my cars usually make it close to or at 10k before the oil monitor tells me to change the oil. They also no longer recommend a break-in change. I first encountered this in late 2011 on my Fusion. It’s covered in the manual.

Oil change interval increased on 5th Gens??

Bought a new 2017 X last Nov, and now have 4600 miles on it. I found the oil reset button in the menu, and it says 55% remaining. That would put it at about 10k miles for an oil change. Is that possible? They recommend full synthetic oil, so in the real world, 10K mikes is correct. Thanks, Ed
Your thread was merged with this existing one. The Intelligent Oil Life Monitor (IOLM) can give you different percentages remaining depending upon your driving style.
Mine is reading 59% with just under 1100 miles driven since the last change and I'm schedule for an oil change next week when the Winter wheels come off. Many of my trips are short, perhaps 5 - 10 miles with the occasional longer trip of 30 - 50 miles. The recommended oil for Canadian Explorers is Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Super Premium Motor Oil CXO-5W30-LSP12. Synthetic is optional.

Peter

The many turbo charged engines out now make huge HP/CI versus other engines. I don't think the higher stress is yet known, the long term affects on engine wear, cylinders, pistons, valve seats etc.

I would not run oil for 10k given the young age of these engines. I'd be cautious and limit mileage between oil changes. More money spent on that is better than hoping the manuals and engineers are right. How many Ford lessons have we owners learned on behalf of Ford. If pushing the intervals on those "modern" engines, be smarter and test the used oil regularly. That doesn't guarantee great wear of the main engine parts, but it's a good indicator.

Just from curiosity, what's the change interval for the new Ford GT?
The owners manual states every year or every 5,000 miles. It doesn't have an oil life monitor. The interval drops to every 2,500 miles if operating in a hot climate (Africa, Mid East, etc.).

The owners manual states every year or every 5,000 miles. It doesn't have an oil life monitor. The interval drops to every 2,500 miles if operating in a hot climate (Africa, Mid East, etc.).

That's very good, just about what I'd suggest if I owned one. Once a year, or half the mileage of normal or light usage/applications.

We all are different and do the oil changes/maintenance differently for our own reasons. For me, my vehicles are like my children. I never take them to a car wash as I love washing and waxing them, they always are covered at home either in the garage or under a carport. I enjoy full control including changing the oil and minor maintenance like filters, tire rotation, batteries n such (which is about all ya have to do these days)...but then I come from the 60's generation when we all loved our muscle cars and hot rods and always did our own work. If you are capable, care about your vehicle and want it done right, do it yourself.
As mentioned above, good idea to keep meticulous records just in case.
Cheers all,
willie

Welcome to the Forum willie.:wave:
Hope you enjoy your new Ruby Red Sport.:thumbsup:

Peter

Oil change, which value to respect, gauge or mileage?

Hi, searching for oil change on this forum brought nothing as oil is too short and common word!
Anyhow, my sticker says I should change oil in December or 55k. I am at 59k, January, oups.
But oil life sensor says I'm still at 25%.

I don't remember when I did the last oil change, so not sure if number were good, but assuming so. Is that sensor good, bad, unreliable, or I misinterpreted that value and 25% is not good?

I have an appointment next Monday, but curious to know.

There's a thread on here about the IOM, so I'm sure this will be merged with that one.
You'll get different opinions on this.
I've always gone by the IOM and change when it gets to 20-25%.
That's usually around 8k miles.
I have had a few oil analyses completed and all came back good.

Oh, and if your last change was done at a dealer or service place, they usually put 3k or 5k miles on it, regardless of model. More monies for them.

I follow the monitor, and usually end up around 10k, I think. I ran it down to 5% on the first one, and to 0 on the 2nd. Both oil changes have been at the dealer, and they put the usual sticker on it, I think with 5k on it. I just peeled it off and went with the oil monitor's recommendation.

Basically, it is totally up to you which you prefer to go by as long as you don't exceed the maximum as per your Manual;
Never exceed one year or 10000 miles
(16000 kilometers) between oil change intervals.

You may also want to check out; Trust in the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor (IOLM)?

BTW, plenty of threads come up searching "oil change".;)

Peter

BTW, plenty of threads come up searching "oil change".;)

Peter

That was my hope, but found nothing thru my cell, sorry and thanks for fixing it up!

I run my vehicles to 10k for my oil changes. My EX just rolled over 60k so I figured it was time to send a sample in to blackstone and the results just came back. Oil was in good condition and they said to run to 12k next change and see how that looks. I'm going to stick with 10k, just easier to remember.

10k or 1 year is the max as the Manual.

Peter

I will trust data before I trust a manual that is trying to cover all conditions. Also the manual won't pay to repair my vehicle if something goes wrong.

I will trust data before I trust a manual that is trying to cover all conditions. Also the manual won't pay to repair my vehicle if something goes wrong.

The manual assumes a level of oil and filter quality, typically average, and at the date of manufacture. Using better oil and filters, plus improvements in quality, the manual is simply a good guide, not a bible, not an absolute.

Well you are out of warranty so you can do what you want because you are out of pocket for all repairs now. However, Ford REQUIRES oil change intervals to be no longer then 1yr/10k and thats what one should follow (shorter intervals are ok) to maintain their warranty.

Well you are out of warranty so you can do what you want because you are out of pocket for all repairs now. However, Ford REQUIRES oil change intervals to be no longer then 1yr/10k and thats what one should follow (shorter intervals are ok) to maintain their warranty.

Minor detail, Ford does not know how long the interval is. They go by paperwork, and trust, and the evidence of actual parts conditions(to guess). They can and often do accuse owners of not following their requirements due to lack of paperwork etc. You are talking about warrantee issues, not actual engine care(oil change intervals and quality of oils).

I have zero interest in discussing service concerns which are ambiguous and based on each dealer's personnel, how they treat different customers etc. This thread was about what is best for the engine, and that I can handle competently.

If you are worried about what is best for the engine then you need to do a oil analysis to see how the oil that you are running is doing.

You might be able to go longer between changes and it might tell you that you need to change the oil sooner.

All the oil minder is telling you is what the computer is telling it to do.

For the DIY'er that is doing their own maintenance you need to keep the receipts for the oil and filter and mileage records if you have a warranty issue they still might fight you but at least you will have some evidence of what you supposedly did.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Minor detail, Ford does not know how long the interval is. ......
I would think that the recommended interval mentioned in the Manual is probably based on the recommendations of its engineers.

Peter

Back