Oil Filter Adapter Thread Came Out with Filter! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Filter Adapter Thread Came Out with Filter!

Friborage

Reaction score
City, State
Hazleton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0L
I was doing a simple oil change today (something's always gotta happen) and when I took the filter off, the threads that the oil filter spins onto came out with the filter.

Can I just thread it back into the oil filter adapter? There's no break in the middle of it, it's all threads from one end to the other. Do I just keep threading it in until it bottoms and stops?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know, I don't have that engine, but I just saw a post with same problem about a week or so ago, it seemed a not uncommon problem. Maybe search around?

I was doing a simple oil change today (something's always gotta happen) and when I took the filter off, the threads that the oil filter spins onto came out with the filter.

Can I just thread it back into the oil filter adapter? There's no break in the middle of it, it's all threads from one end to the other. Do I just keep threading it in until it bottoms and stops?

Yes, you can just thread it back in. You might want to use some brake/parts cleaner to clean the threads of the adapter and the piece that came out and use some thread locker on it (blue or red). It should be tight but not super tight.

I've never seen it happen on an explorer BUT I have had this happen on a Honda I owned a lifetime ago..

I did just what you asked.. threaded the nipple back in until it bottomed out and then put on the new filter.. It never came out again although I was always worried about it.

~Mark

I've never seen it happen on an explorer BUT I have had this happen on a Honda I owned a lifetime ago..

I did just what you asked.. threaded the nipple back in until it bottomed out and then put on the new filter.. It never came out again although I was always worried about it.

~Mark

I've had it happen on a couple of vehicles over the years. As long as you don't go ape-sh*t tightening the filter it probably will never happen. I've had filters that are on so tight I've had to destroy them to get them off. I've also seen a lot of stripped drain plugs.

Back