• Register Today It's free!

Oil for 2007 Mercury Mountaineer

Westmoreland

Reaction score
City, State
Montross, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Mercury Mountaineer
Just purchased a 2007 Mercury Mountaineer about a week ago. I see the owner's manual states Ford recommends 5W20 synthetic blend motor oil. However, on the engine (air filter assembly) is a sticker that says to use Mobil 1 synthetic blend oil only. The dealership I got it from did an oil change with Mobil 1 synthetic oil when we purchased it (no additional charge to us).

Would it be best to continue using the Mobil 1 synthetic blend or should I use the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend in the future?

Thanks!

(Also own a F-150 pickup, and a Ford Fiesta; use Motorcraft Synthetic Blend in those.)

I'll stay away from the 5/20 vs 5/30 debate other than to state that I use 5/30 in all of my vehicles (except the old Mustang) regardless of any other recommendations on the fill cap or owners manual (which recommend 5/20 usually).

You honestly will be fine with either oil mentioned, and really any oil whether it be synthetic, conventional or semi is fine. The trick is to keep up with maintenance, I try to almost religiously change the oil on my vehicles in 5K or 1 year (whichever occurs first) intervals. Do that and you'll be fine as far as this goes.

All that said, I like Mobil 1 Extended Protection (5/30 of course) and use Motorcraft brand filters. My only advice in regard to filters is stay away from Fram - Motorcraft, Purolator, Napa "Gold", Wix are all very decent filters. And I don't go into WalMart very often, but when I need oil is definitely when I do go in there, it's much cheaper there than anywhere else.

If you're ever bored and want to research some of the different brands/blends of oil on the market and why some are better than others then go to www.bobistheoilguy.com

Back