• Register Today It's free!

oil pan removal

LL

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLS
My brother in law has an 03 explorer with the v6 and was told he needs a new oil pan gasket . I have a 2nd generation xls and don't know how similar the 2 beasts are . Does his engine need to be lifted to remove the pan or will it clear in the truck ?

On my 04 AWD it did not require any engine movement or special tools. Just be careful when pulling it free to catch the oil, there is lot's of oil in there even after the oil plug is pulled and not that easy to keep it level past getting it around all the suspension parts. I would recommend tipping it toward the oil drain after it is freed up to drain as much additional oil as possible. Reinstall with a torque wrench end of leak.

JC

On my 04 AWD it did not require any engine movement or special tools. Just be careful when pulling it free to catch the oil, there is lot's of oil in there even after the oil plug is pulled and not that easy to keep it level past getting it around all the suspension parts. I would recommend tipping it toward the oil drain after it is freed up to drain as much additional oil as possible. Reinstall with a torque wrench end of leak.

JC
Ok I've never done an oil pump b4.. I took off the metal square bottom plate from under car now there is a plastic piece over all of it.. it's there any way u could guide me through this b4 they tow me truck... it's in the street PLEASE HELP ME.. SO U HAVE A VIDEO OR CAN U SEND ME A LINK PLEASE

This thread is 16 years old.

If you’ve got plastic pieces in your oil pickup your timing chain guides have failed. To properly fix this the motor, or trans, needs to come out.

Back