How to change the oil pan gasket 2002-2005 Explorer 4.0 engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to change the oil pan gasket 2002-2005 Explorer 4.0 engine

TTSaleen

Reaction score
City, State
Apex, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
I did this recently as my oil pan gasket (lower) was leaking at the back of the pan, near the transmission.
It was a pretty simple job.
Just drain the oil (during a routine oil change).
Remove all bolts.
Pull pan off and clean.
Remove and discard old gasket.
Install new gasket.
Reinstall pan.
Install bolts and torque between 8-10 ft-lbs of torque.
Refill oil.

Here's my video on it.
Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I watch all your explorer videos. Impressed by engine performance at end of e-85 video. Waiting for you to do rear bearings. (Grin)

I watch all your explorer videos. Impressed by engine performance at end of e-85 video. Waiting for you to do rear bearings. (Grin)
Thanks I appreciate the feedback. Not sure I'll do a bearing video anytime soon........ Haha. Currently in the middle of 2 Explorer videos. 1 is for alternator replacement and the big one is the transmission rebuild. Having a shop do that one.
Ryan

Good to see you producing videos on this model of explorer. Videos have helped me immensely with several repairs. Wish your alternator video was out before I had to replace mine!

Thanks I appreciate the feedback. Not sure I'll do a bearing video anytime soon........ Haha. Currently in the middle of 2 Explorer videos. 1 is for alternator replacement and the big one is the transmission rebuild. Having a shop do that one.
Ryan

Ryan,

I just found your videos and was really impressed. Just curious, on the one that you place the overlays for the delaminating pillar posts. I have the same issue and it looks like they are still available, albeit at a higher price now that the MY is getting up there. But I also have the same problem with the two rear panels, on the lift gate, delaminating from the top on both sides. I've looked high and low and can't seem to find any even though I looked and it also seems that it would also be smooth transition. Have you seen any of the rear tailgate overlays? I'm a little reticent to get the two side door and still have the back lift gate with the same ugly problem.

Thanks

Ryan,

I just found your videos and was really impressed. Just curious, on the one that you place the overlays for the delaminating pillar posts. I have the same issue and it looks like they are still available, albeit at a higher price now that the MY is getting up there. But I also have the same problem with the two rear panels, on the lift gate, delaminating from the top on both sides. I've looked high and low and can't seem to find any even though I looked and it also seems that it would also be smooth transition. Have you seen any of the rear tailgate overlays? I'm a little reticent to get the two side door and still have the back lift gate with the same ugly problem.

Thanks
I have yet to find anything for the rear panels either. Mine also have some wear on them too. But the side panels I put on the doors are holding up great and are not noticeable from factory as they blend in so well. Thanks for the feedback by the way!

I have yet to find anything for the rear panels either. Mine also have some wear on them too. But the side panels I put on the doors are holding up great and are not noticeable from factory as they blend in so well. Thanks for the feedback by the way!

I ordered them yesterday. China.... Shows one month delivery time. Hope they are as clean as yours were.

Maybe for the back, when it cools down a little, take it into the garage and invest in some dupli-color paint and clear coat. Tape everything off and just do a light respray. My guess is after the side panels, the back panels will just bug me.

Back