• Register Today It's free!

oil pressure gauge question

fishwish3

Reaction score
City, State
northampton,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport 4X4
ok, so i recently installed a autometer NV mechanical oil pressure gauge on my sport, being new to the mechanical oil pressure gauges i have everything working but want to make sure i get the accurate readings, do i need to purge the air out of the tubing for the reading or does the air have nothing to do with anything?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pressure's pressure, I think, so as far as I know you wouldn't have to purge it. I could be wrong, though. It has happened before!:)

im wondering because i know autometer is very good product and at first start im gettin 60 PSI cold idle and 20 warm idle with valvoline synpower full synthetic and fram extended guard oil filter

Installation instructions?

Do the installation instructions state that air purging is required?

Air is compressible while oil is not. I think that it would be an advantage to have air between the indicator and the oil supply to cushion the shock at start up. Synthetics typically do not change pressure from cold to warm as much as conventional oil. A change from 60 psi to 20 psi seems excessive. Are you comparing the same engine speeds for cold vs warm? As the engine warms the PCM reduces the idle speed. What is the weight of your oil?

If there was air in the line, it has already purged itself...

im wondering because i know autometer is very good product and at first start im gettin 60 PSI cold idle and 20 warm idle with valvoline synpower full synthetic and fram extended guard oil filter

When you first put the gauge on the engine, you might have seen a lag in pressure reading that eventually showed a higher pressure...That was the air in the line, if any, purging itself...

My 1999 Explorer with 167k on the engine using an Autometer electric oil pressure gauge shows 65-70psi when cold idle and it will drop to 25 psi when the engine is hot and on idle...Under load the pressure increases to 75 psi cold and 50-60 psi hot...

It is interesting to note that the pressure will plateau by 2000 rpm and whatever the pressure is at 2k it will stay there throughtout the upper rpm band...Also my engine had the oil pump replaced about a year ago since it waas full of sludge and dead...And I use full synthetic oil as well...

How many miles are on your engine and how long have you run synthetic oil in it?

i have almost 114k on it and have had full synthetic in for about 3 months and at cold idle (about 1300RPM) its reading 60 and warm idle (about 800RPM) im getting 18-20 PSI and it is 5W-30

Back