Oil whoops | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil whoops

I dont know if i could qualify it as a Whoops but i've found this sludge in my engine. First I let you know that the truck is parked since september 2007 and I start it only 2 times a week for 15-30 minutes in the parking. The engine dont seems to lost the coolant but do you think that it could be humidity in oil due to the fact that the truck dont go out of my parking lot?
Thank you to help me solve this Whoops!!

Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That right there is a good example-
Time also destroys oil-from the condensation-

I think it is just that-condensation form lack of use.

In september and the truck was started sometimes like i said but never got out of the driveway.
I just replaced my oil this morning but i left the oil filter there because it was stuck. i was outside in snow and because the oil was a cheap Quaker state at 8$ for 5 liters.
In the spring i will put back my big aftermarket giganto wix filter and good 5w30 high mileage oil for my 130500 miles engine.
Do you have something to tell me about high mileage oil ?

It's fine... condensation will naturally form in the crankcase, and it'll contaminate the oil. If it makes you nervous, drain the oil, fill it with fresh, and forget about it. I would personally just let the motor get hot and burn the moisture out itself. Either way, it's f-i-n-e-fine.

-Joe

thats what i just said i changed the oil this morning and i will put a oil flush this spring....which oil flush company you use guys ?

By the way guys if you want to get more filtration get a Wix 51714 oil filter it contain around 1 liter only in the filter because its a really big one compared to the stock one on the 4.0 ohv...maybe it fit on recent engines. But the stock filter is around 5$ and the wix is around 25$
Fram PH6644 is a cross reference if you cant get a wix....look on the fram website oyu will see a big picture of it...and i already double checked the thread size,etc

There's no need for a flush. They do more harm than good. Use a quality oil and change it regularly with a high-quality filter, and the engine will easily out-last the vehicle.

Ok but i will do it only to remove the sludge that is in the engine because otherwise i never do that.

There won't be any sludge. The new oil will liquify the gunk in there when it gets hot. Just run the car for a while, and change the oil again.

Ok but i will do it only to remove the sludge that is in the engine because otherwise i never do that.

Boy, I guess those Castrol commercials have really gotten into people's heads!!

How do you know you even have sludge that needs removing? I have yet to see any proof that sludge exists on a normally-maintained engine.

Here's the inside of mine after 94,000 miles (the oil pan rusted through, but note the LACK of sludge)
666439.jpg

The ONLY case of true engine sludge I've ever seen was in a 93 Bronco lease vehicle that came into the dealership I was working at. The vehicle had 24,000 miles on it, and the engine had seized. Upon removing the valve covers, we discovered what looked like knox gelatin mixed with oil... it was gummy like jello that had been left out on the counter for a day. We believe it had never been changed, but will probably never know for sure. That's the one and only time I've ever actually seen sludge accumulate in an engine.

-Joe

when old owner did not changed oil for 6 months. Ive seen it yes...but not seen castrol commercials

Have you inspected the internals? I'd be highly surprised if any engine had sludge just ebcause the oil hadn't been changed in 6 months, and even if it did, regular oil and filter changes over the next few thousand miles will easily dissolve and eliminate them.

If you run a search on this forum, you'll find that, in general, flushes cause more harm than good. They're not worth the risk.

-Joe

Anyway my engine only need it once and i will do it to be sure it remove all the **** of it. I tested the compression and it sound very good.

How do you know it needs it if you've never seen inside of it?

Just because the previous owner went 6 months without changing the oil doesn't mean there's sludge build-up. I've personally seen the internals of an engine that went more than two years without an oil change. Yes, the oil was black and dirty, but no, there was no sludge built-up in it. Unless you know for a fact that there is sludge in the engine, you're simply wasting time and money.

But it's your ride. I encourage you to do whatever lets you sleep at night.

I know what i do dont worry :) Theres sludge in it i just changed oil and theres a lot of **** coming out there and with the white deposits in it i would prefer to flush it anyway.After that i hope the engine will become clean again i tested the compression and this engine is good for many many miles i could even swap it in another truck after this one im sure.

Thank you guys for advices its greatly appreciated.

i changed the oil in a friends kia sportage, she used penzoil in it, and i could stick my finger in the top of the valve cover and pull out thick black sludge. it was a 2000 model year with about 100,000 miles on it.

i have also heard bad things about penzoil, not sure if its true tho.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i changed the oil in a friends kia sportage, she used penzoil in it, and i could stick my finger in the top of the valve cover and pull out thick black sludge. it was a 2000 model year with about 100,000 miles on it.

i have also heard bad things about penzoil, not sure if its true tho.

Not to bag on Penzoil, because I'm no expert. I had a '84 Subaru with turbo and the owners manual said not to use Penzoil. Actually spelled it out, I was shocked. One of the mechanics had a turbo apart and on his bench and I asked what was with all the gunk in it and all he said was Penzoil.

Back