Okay, now what???

SDenny61

Reaction score
City, State
Sullivan, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger 4x4
Hello all.

I have a 2000 ranger 4x4 with a 5r55e tranny. I have the following symptoms: No manual 1st, 2-3 upshift flair, and reverse is touchy at best. Most of the time I don't have reverse. Now, these didn't all happen at the same time. The 2-3 flair has been getting worse for about a year now, I'm not sure about the manual 1st thing, and reverse just started giving me fits recently.
I took it to a tranny shop that my mechanic highly recommended and they dropped the pan and took out the VB. The said that the reverse servo could be pushed way up into the VB, which indicated that the band was either broken or "hanging on by a thread". The guy said that fixing the reverse problem would fix the 2-3 flair also. I'm not to concerned about the manual 1st issue, I just really need reverse and the 2-3 fixed. Can this be done easily? He suggested doing a complete rebuild, which I can't afford right now. I was hoping for a cheap fix until I can get the money which would be at the end of next month (february). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Steve D

The only way to get to the reverse band is by disassembling the transmission. The reverse band is cast iron by the way. I'm not a pro, but cannot imagine one breaking.
Sure sounds like a VB rebuild MIGHT work....with the tsb.... like one other poster tonight, this sounds more like blown gaskets.... but you have had it diagnosed by someone in the business.... which I am not.

If you decide to have em rebuild it, save the band for us. I have never seen a broken low/reverse band and would like to.

I hope to have the tranny rebuilt soon. I will keep the old parts and try to send a photo. Thanks for the reply!

Steve D

Back