• Register Today It's free!

Ole Man Emu

IN2FORD

Reaction score
City, State
Cookeville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Bullitt
Those of you that are lifted via TT and Warrior shackles, what do you think of the extended length Ole Man Emu shocks? It feels like my shock is reaching full extension going over bumps. Now that may not be the limiting factor, but it seems to be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had these things for about 2-3 months and i'm not gonna lie I love these things, granted they cost me an arm and a leg ($72 a pop from a local shop) but they were worth every penny. I have these with the tt/4dr leafs and a 3" bl and never had any problems with them reaching full extension granted I have only had them offroad once but they preformed like a dream. Also since I have put these things on its more of a truck like ride then cushy luxury suv ride, but I like that more anyways. jasonb had an excellent write up on these a while ago if my link dosen't work - "OME shocks on... what i think about them..." - just look up under his profile and search for threads he started and that will be the title, hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I am really leaning towards these shocks. They seem to make sense. I'll do some hunting...

I have OMEs on my '96 (4x4 4 door) with a TT and the F150 Spring mod. I haven't been off road with them but I love the way they ride on the pavement. I paid $65 each from the local ARB dealer (which happens to be a Land Rover dealer, too). They're a rather bright yellow color, if that's any concern. I would highly recommend them.

Dave.

IN2FORD said:
Thanks for the info. I am really leaning towards these shocks. They seem to make sense. I'll do some hunting...

Yeah I seriously find it hard to believe you won't fall in love with these things ;)

Looks like I'll be ordering them real soon. It's time for brakes so I might as well do it all at once.

Did it help the suspension travel any?

i like mine. they seem to do find offroad and the onroad ride is better than stock too. they are a bit stiffer and more heavy duty so the ride isn't as plush, but that's good to me. they are hideously bright yellow and look really retarded under a blue truck. i had to rattle can mine black because of that. i got them from 4wp about 2 years back for like $60 something plus 10% off. if you can track Nick down he still offered the discount to us if you mention the site. last i heard he was in plano, tx.

I've had them for 3 yrs now on my rear axle and you can rest assured that I have thoroughly tested them out while on the trail :D They are extremely heavy-duty - they even weigh a heckuva lot more than other shocks. I have Warrior shackles and F150 leafs that provide about 2" of suspension lift. With swaybar disconnected, the OME shocks provide a lot more travel than other shocks, but they still max out about 1" before full flex. Since I have 35" tires that stuff into the wheelwells anyway before complete compression, I installed shock extensions to make up for that inch.

OMEs are not cheap by any standard, but you will not be disappointed at all should you choose to get them.

PS - and yes they are hideously yellow and the first thing I was gonna do when I bought them was paint them..... maybe I'll get around to that someday, LOL. Here's a photo of yellow flex at Paragon Park in PA.

101gerald_1.jpg

Has everyone that is running OMU disconnected the swaybar end links front and back? Has anyone tried to extend the swaybar end links or does the truck drive fine without them? I would think with the TT in front, that gives you enough stiffness to reduce the body roll that you would gain by disconnecting.

just incase you wanted, warrior(same people who make the shackles) makes quick disconects for both the front and back explorer sway bars.

Are the disconnects any longer than stock?

Good info. That will be the next item to purchase. Thanks for all of the help!!

Good Info. Those links will be 3rd in line for purchases. Brakes, Ole Man Emu shocks, then the links! Thanks for all of the help!!

For what it's worth, I currently run my sway bars connected. That's with a 1.75" TT and the F150 leaf spring mod (1.75" susp. lift). Aren't the sway bars mounted to the frame (front) and the axle (rear)? Why would you need extender links? I also plan to modify the ends of my front sway bar to accept a heim joint. That way I can make my own disconnect.

Back