one a4ld too many, 302 conversion questions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

one a4ld too many, 302 conversion questions

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
I cut a piece of plastic up and use it as a funnel to direct the oil into thepan without getting all over my frame/steering/front end :)

I made it so I can set it in there and let it drain too, no need to hold it.

My oil filter location requires me to remove two 8mm bolts for the fender skirt to change the filter, and a funnel is required to keep it off the frame there too.

2893conversion_007.jpg

My 5.0L with the 88 dual sump pan requires 5.5 quarts including the oil filter kit.

My friend has the same block, mounts and pan in his 93 Explorer, except with his 5.5 Superlift the lift bracket was not even close to getting in the way of his drain plug, so as we know every truck is different.
I wanted my engine as far down and as far back as possible.

TheRookie

Traveling SAS guru
Reaction score
City, State
West Chester PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
Looking at 4.10's picture I dont think I will move the drain plug any. I dont have any TTB bracketry at all. Thus I should have more room

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
You can kinda see how I "hammered" the oil pan a bit to clear my duff bracket as well.
This is the only cast type bracket ever made for the TTB, its old, strong, and I was lucky to get one of the last Duff kits with this bracket.

Drilling the engine cradle and/or L&L mounts would not be too tricky in order to get the engine exactly where you want it. My firewall and headers had alot to do with my 5.0L's final location, all documented in my conversion thread, "a good read"