Only a 14-15 gallon tank?- MY17 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Only a 14-15 gallon tank?- MY17

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The 3 miles to empty warning is a bit of a puzzler since you were able to only add 12.4 gallons to the tank. Do you recall what your average MPG readout was at the time?This is what the Manual says;
Low Fuel Reminder
A low fuel reminder triggers when the distance to empty reaches 75 miles (120 km), 50 miles (80 km), 25 miles (40 km), 10 miles (20 km) and 0 miles (0 km) .
Variations:
Note: The low fuel warning and distance-to-empty warning can appear at different fuel gauge positions depending on fuel economy conditions. This variation is normal.

According to the above you should have received a low fuel warnings at various intervals before you actually did. As the above member suggested, keep an eye on it and if it happens again in the same way then perhaps there is something that isn't working correctly.

Peter

Thanks Peter! I do not know what the avg MPG readout was at the time as I had it on the DTE screen. Today I reset the Fuel Economy readout. After a short commute home and back to work this afternoon, I was averaging about 18 MPG (mostly highway). I definitely did not get a warning at 75 miles DTE and before it got to 50 miles DTE is when it dropped to 3 miles to empty. I will keep watching it and report back if it happens again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Peter! I do not know what the avg MPG readout was at the time as I had it on the DTE screen. Today I reset the Fuel Economy readout. After a short commute home and back to work this afternoon, I was averaging about 18 MPG (mostly highway). I definitely did not get a warning at 75 miles DTE and before it got to 50 miles DTE is when it dropped to 3 miles to empty. I will keep watching it and report back if it happens again.
I have mine displaying the instant average fuel figure as well but have found over the years that the number shown is on the optimistic side. I have been using Fuelly.com to track my mileage figures and fill-ups and my actual mileage is always a bit lower than what the readout showed.

Peter

Totally normal.

It would have also been much better with a larger tank but guessing room / possibly weight dictated sizing.

Well, it happened to me again today. My DTE was reading over 70 miles to empty, and then while sitting parked, with the engine running, the low fuel warning came on saying I had 3 miles to empty. I drove to the nearest gas station about 3 miles away. By the time I got to the station, my fuel gauge said I had 0 miles to Empty. I filled up and topped off as much as it would take. It only took 12.3 gallons. Something is definitely not right. The fuel economy readout says I am averaging about 17.3 mpg.

Well, it happened to me again today. My DTE was reading over 70 miles to empty, and then while sitting parked, with the engine running, the low fuel warning came on saying I had 3 miles to empty. I drove to the nearest gas station about 3 miles away. By the time I got to the station, my fuel gauge said I had 0 miles to Empty. I filled up and topped off as much as it would take. It only took 12.3 gallons. Something is definitely not right. The fuel economy readout says I am averaging about 17.3 mpg.
I agree that this is not normal. Do a calculation yourself to see what your mpg actually is. I think that it should also be mentioned to your dealer. Your DTE calculations seem to be off a bit but there is a problem with the low fuel indication. With 6 gallons left and averaging 17 miles per gallon you should have had enough for another 102 miles.

Peter

If it's not a fuse, which I doubt because that would be binary - works or doesn't work, or a bad circuit in the dash panel, more times than not when the gas gauge does not read correctly, it's the fuel pump assembly that needs to be replaced. It sounds like your fuel pump works good, but the float and/or sending unit on the assembly is malfunctioning.

With the fuel pump being in the fuel tank and depends on the fuel in the tank to cool it I would never let it get down to the point that the display is telling me that I need fuel. At times it happens but a lot of owners are doing it all the time and then wonder why the fuel pumps fail.

I also would never rely on the dash display for much more than a guess on what I have left. If you are that concerned about it why not have the dealer take a look at it, I'm quite positive that you are not out of warranty yet.

my 2014 Explorer is now at 86,000 miles and runs 20.8 MPG when not towing. Sometimes I go close to empty, and fill it up to 16 gallons. I bought it used so I don't know what you all are going through YET. I might buy new next time probably after 2020.

Last night I was driving on the freeway (flat, 70mph) and my DTE was somewhere around 60 miles to empty. Then suddenly the low fuel warning came on and said I had 3 miles to empty! WTH?! Thank goodness there was a gas station at the next exit so I stopped and filled up. I topped it off and was only able to get about 12.4 gallons in. I highly doubt there is a 6 gallon reserve. I am hoping this will get better as I break the vehicle in. Currently just under 1000 miles on the vehicle.
I am following up on this issue I had with my '17 XLT. I took the vehicle to the dealership and they checked for codes and found code P1243. They pulled the tank and checked the fuel pump and sender and found no issues. Service notes say "suspect pin fit issue".

Last night while driving on the freeway the DTE went from 60 miles to empty to 3 miles to empty again. No 75, 50, 25 miles to empty warnings; just skipped to 3 miles to empty as it was doing before. I stopped at the nearest gas station with the display reading 0 miles to empty, and filled up and topped off. Again I was not able to get anywhere near 18 gallons in the tank. I was only able to get 13.2 gallons in.

The service advisor tried telling me that the reserve is about 6 gallons because the tanks are so big. I don't buy that for second! They clearly have not fixed the issue.

I am following up on this issue I had with my '17 XLT. I took the vehicle to the dealership and they checked for codes and found code P1243. They pulled the tank and checked the fuel pump and sender and found no issues. Service notes say "suspect pin fit issue".

Last night while driving on the freeway the DTE went from 60 miles to empty to 3 miles to empty again. No 75, 50, 25 miles to empty warnings; just skipped to 3 miles to empty as it was doing before. I stopped at the nearest gas station with the display reading 0 miles to empty, and filled up and topped off. Again I was not able to get anywhere near 18 gallons in the tank. I was only able to get 13.2 gallons in.

The service advisor tried telling me that the reserve is about 6 gallons because the tanks are so big. I don't buy that for second! They clearly have not fixed the issue.
Whatever your problem is, it seems to be fairly consistent in the readings. This seems to be a common answer to that code; P1243 Second Fuel Pump Faulty or Ground Fault

Peter

Whatever your problem is, it seems to be fairly consistent in the readings. This seems to be a common answer to that code; P1243 Second Fuel Pump Faulty or Ground Fault

Peter
Thanks Peter. I found that same description of the error code. I am hoping that they will get the same code this time and just replace the second fuel pump. It's frustrating to have a brand new vehicle in the shop, not to mention it costs me a lot of $ to Uber back and forth since they wont give me a loaner car and I am outside of their shuttle territory. :-(

So after the Ford Dealership's 2nd attempt to fix my fuel gauge issue I am still left with the same problem. This time they replaced the fuel pump module as recommended by Ford Engineering. Note the mileage, distance to empty, and fuel gauge indicator in the 2 photos. This is not normal. So frustrated!!!

61 to empty.jpg

3 to empty.jpg

Have you shown these pictures to your dealer? I'm guessing that the top on is correct based on your previous posts about the amount of fuel you've been able to put in after it shows 3 miles to 'empty'. Perhaps they should have tried another fuel pump when they had it out before. Other than that module they replaced, I don't know what else is between the pump and the indicator gauge.:dunno: Obviously they haven't found the problem.

Peter

Have you shown these pictures to your dealer? I'm guessing that the top on is correct based on your previous posts about the amount of fuel you've been able to put in after it shows 3 miles to 'empty'. Perhaps they should have tried another fuel pump when they had it out before. Other than that module they replaced, I don't know what else is between the pump and the indicator gauge.:dunno: Obviously they haven't found the problem.

Peter

Yes, I emailed these pictures to the service manager and technician this morning. They said they will get back to me this afternoon. Fingers crossed they have a better plan.

Last night I was driving on the freeway (flat, 70mph) and my DTE was somewhere around 60 miles to empty. Then suddenly the low fuel warning came on and said I had 3 miles to empty! WTH?! Thank goodness there was a gas station at the next exit so I stopped and filled up. I topped it off and was only able to get about 12.4 gallons in. I highly doubt there is a 6 gallon reserve. I am hoping this will get better as I break the vehicle in. Currently just under 1000 miles on the vehicle.
same problem with my 2011. 81000 miles. the gauge will read to 1/4 tank then suddenly 7 miles of range and quickly drops to 0. the second time it happenned, i though, heck i know i still have a least 4 gallons left. 10 miles later the engine dies like a no fuel condition. (the fill up after took only 14 gallons). I'd love to hear anyones thoughts on this. when it warms up a bit ill start troubleshooting it and in the meantime ill just keep my tank above 1/2. ill also try this... from FordTechMakuloco. maybe cleaning the sensor will help.

I filled mine up the other day with the gauge at the 1/4 mark and put in 13.5 gallons (U.S.).

Peter

Took a trip from Ohio to Florida recently, and my average fill up was about 16.5 gallons. The vehicle only had 1200 miles on it when I started the trip. Got down as low as 3 miles to empty, took around 17.46 gallons. Average MPG was just over 20 for the entire trip, including several hundred miles around the Orlando area. Owned a 14 Flex, and had a similar experience with DTE readings.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

peterk, its not about reading up on specs. I was just floored that my first 2 fill ups are maxing out under 15 gallons to fill when both times show me i am 17-20 miles to empty. Not a chance that those additional 20 miles would translate to 5 gallons. Air in the tank? It makes no sense.
I agree that the specs must be overstated by 7 gallons. My manual says tank capacity is 22.5gal. But actual tank size (i.e. maximum I've ever could put in) on an empty tank (i.e. 8 miles to empty) was 16.1 gallons. I have a 2010 Sport Trac.

Back