Opinions needed: Should I get rid of my 02? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Opinions needed: Should I get rid of my 02?

Reaction score
City, State
101.01 miles southeast of Montreal
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ltd; 05 XLS; 08 XLT
I have an 02 XLT that I've been considering parting with. She has 108K miles, and is a secondary vehicle usually used for hauling things and used almost exclusively during the winter (I live in the mountains on the Canadian border). I was thinking of replacing it with a slightly newer XLT (I have my eye on an 05 that's for sale in town) before it has any major problems.

My greatest worry is that she's had the infamous rear differential humming sound for about the last six months. I originally thought it may be due to my rear bearings, which I replaced (needed to be done) about 3000 miles ago. Due to my employment, it's only been in the last few days that I've had the time to get online and do some research, and I'm sure you all know what I now fear. Rear diff fluid hasn't been changed since about 60K. I have considered just changing it to 75W140, saying a few prayers, and keeping the vehicle.

The work that I know the vehicle needs now is an EGR valve or troubleshooting the valve (it's throwing two codes, have not had time to play with the valve and check the hoses), and a front right bearing.

In the past year or so, I have had to replace the rear springs, u-joints, and the two rear bearings. I replaced the plugs and wires at 95K. Tranny, tranny filter, and rear diff were last filled at about 60K.

Except for the rear end humming sound, the need for EGR valve troubleshooting, and the front wheel bearing, the vehicle is running and driving perfectly.

I was originally planning to sell this in the springtime and get another Explorer at that time, however as you can see I am worried about the rear end after reading horror stories on this forum.

So...what would you do? Change the rear diff fluid and hope for the best? Sell it now and replace it? Something else?

THANKS for reading this thread!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think the whiney rear end is a horror story. I think the only potential horror story is the tranny in these things. The rear end rebuild is about $1200-1500 from what I've seen in here, and lots of people have changed the fluids and just lived with it for many miles. The front wheel bearing that needs changing is pretty easy and cheaper than the rears. The EGR codes you're getting are likely the DFPE needs changed. That's about a $50 part and takes about 10 minutes to change.

It sounds like you've been taking care of the maintenance items on a reasonable schedule. I'd go ahead and get the tranny and rear end serviced, replace that front wheel bearing, and keep driving that puppy. Especially since it's not your daily driver. Post up what codes you are getting from the EGR. Good luck.

Thanks, yes that's ideally what I would like to do.

Anyone else?

Having your rear diff COMPLETLEY rebuilt is about ~600 for the average consumer, especially if you buy your own parts. I could sell the parts for cheaper. Even a completley rebuilt diff would only cost around 800 from me for the complete unit and maybe 200-300 for labor? Not sure. Either way the diff is not a problem and I wouldn't get rid of your truck based of that or any other of the minor problems.

Sounds like you have done or know about all the work needed on your 02, getting an 05 would just buy you 3 years until you would potentially have to do all that work again to the new one, maybe sooner depending. I would keep it myself. Now if you were talking about an 06+, it a different story, Improved in several areas. Gotta wonder why the rear wheel bearings are different on them.....

Well the main problem is the rear axle seals mainly on the 2003. If you buy a remanufactured or even new rear diff make sure it's been updated as per the TSB.

"is it paid for?" Excellent point by Extreme Ranger.

My 2001 has 150,000 on it now and has been abused with four sons and (ahem) my wife driving it. Yours, with only 108,000, is just getting it's second wind! With this many miles, though, we're not going to get much for them.

These Explorers can take alot and keep running. I'd rather stick with the devil I know, rather than buy an unknown quantity.

Thanks again for all the replies, you folks are wonderful!

Yes she is paid for.

And one of my old Army buddies is a Ford mechanic, he's done most of the work on this since I bought it, so "labor costs" consist of a few drinks at the local tavern and a meal of my fiance's wonderful cooking.

I have made the decision to keep her, partly because I am attached and I know the vehicle inside and out...and partly because the 05 down the street was bought yesterday and I was having too many second thoughts to go hunting for another one!

"is it paid for?" Excellent point by Extreme Ranger.

My 2001 has 150,000 on it now and has been abused with four sons and (ahem) my wife driving it. Yours, with only 108,000, is just getting it's second wind! With this many miles, though, we're not going to get much for them.

These Explorers can take alot and keep running. I'd rather stick with the devil I know, rather than buy an unknown quantity.

Keep it!:thumbsup:

I have an 02 XLT that I've been considering parting with. She has 108K miles, and is a secondary vehicle usually used for hauling things and used almost exclusively during the winter (I live in the mountains on the Canadian border). I was thinking of replacing it with a slightly newer XLT (I have my eye on an 05 that's for sale in town) before it has any major problems.

My greatest worry is that she's had the infamous rear differential humming sound for about the last six months. I originally thought it may be due to my rear bearings, which I replaced (needed to be done) about 3000 miles ago. Due to my employment, it's only been in the last few days that I've had the time to get online and do some research, and I'm sure you all know what I now fear. Rear diff fluid hasn't been changed since about 60K. I have considered just changing it to 75W140, saying a few prayers, and keeping the vehicle.

The work that I know the vehicle needs now is an EGR valve or troubleshooting the valve (it's throwing two codes, have not had time to play with the valve and check the hoses), and a front right bearing.

In the past year or so, I have had to replace the rear springs, u-joints, and the two rear bearings. I replaced the plugs and wires at 95K. Tranny, tranny filter, and rear diff were last filled at about 60K.

Except for the rear end humming sound, the need for EGR valve troubleshooting, and the front wheel bearing, the vehicle is running and driving perfectly.

I was originally planning to sell this in the springtime and get another Explorer at that time, however as you can see I am worried about the rear end after reading horror stories on this forum.

So...what would you do? Change the rear diff fluid and hope for the best? Sell it now and replace it? Something else?

THANKS for reading this thread!

Just what I was thinking

I also have a 2002 and was thinking the same thing , and yes mine is also paid for. There are so many problems that have arose and still to come I think it is time to change car companies. Just how many dollars are enough to sink into one?

Yeah, it was a big decision mainly for the "sentimental value" part of it, but I decided to keep her. Bought a bearing on eBay and plan to put it in Saturday, change the fluids and all will hopefully be well for a while.

No matter what brand of SUV you drive, it will require money to be sunk into it. Only you can decide when enough is enough. The Explorer does have more than its fair share of quirky expensive problems, but I love driving it, its comfortable, its American, Its almost paid for........ :usa:

Yeah, it was a big decision mainly for the "sentimental value" part of it, but I decided to keep her. Bought a bearing on eBay and plan to put it in Saturday, change the fluids and all will hopefully be well for a while.
Still running? :)

i have 2002 4.0 mountaineer with 135000 and an 05 4.6 mountaineer with 157000 and they have been preety good to me so far. How i look at it if i have to put $600 a year in to either or both that's a hundred bucks a month...still cheaper then another car payment...keep it

Back