opinions on explorer with 35's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

opinions on explorer with 35's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i run 35's on my 93. i have a manual trans and 3.27 gears. you should be fine with 4.10s.

35's with 3.27's? :eek:
For 35's you should have about 4.56 gears. You should be fine with 4.10's. I ran 4.88's with 35's/36's after running 33's on 3.73's Night and day difference with the correct gear ratio.

Your going to get a mixed review on this question. 35" tires and gearing has been discussed many times already. This is what I get out of the threads already covering this topic.

Some will say, 4.88's for DD/off road.

Some will say, 5.13's if off road only.

Some will say, 4.0 and 4.10's are a no go.

Some will say, 5.0 and 4.10's are good to go.

Some will say, your going to burn your transmission up with improper gearing.

Some will say, they have been running bigger tires and stock gearing for years with no averse problems.

It will be than left to you to decide what to do after all the opinions weigh in.

Good luck,

:salute:

A v8 will do fine with 410s and 35's, however having a 4.0 with 410 gears turning 35's is on the edge. I would rather have 456 gears for this.

for a trail only rig 488 would be good.

513's have to puny of a pinion shaft in the 8.8 to even consider IMO

3.27's do suck but i get decent mpg with them. i can run at 70 mphs at 1900 rpms.

A fellow member here Corkey had 35's on 4.10's with 4.0 OHV and said it was a dog, with the SOHC I can see it being a better. But if you want the trans to last I would go 4.56's or 4.88's depending on your primary usage.

i was planning on pulling explorer sport rears with 4.10s from the yard. only would cost a little over $100

A fellow member here Corkey had 35's on 4.10's with 4.0 OHV and said it was a dog, with the SOHC I can see it being a better. But if you want the trans to last I would go 4.56's or 4.88's depending on your primary usage.

yeah, the v8 with that combo would be tons better , but a 4:88 gear would definitely give you much better performance,, especially off road,,

If its 2wd you have the option of 4.30s as well. I ran them for a few months before I put 4.56s in mine with 35s. You can make it happen with 4.10s but if you are going to tear into the rear end you may as well go with a larger gear. Id suggest at least 4.56 to bring it pretty close to stock ratio with 35s.

Back