possibly Tcase issue? And other issue... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

possibly Tcase issue? And other issue...

If the OD light is flashing and your having shifting issues, I wouldnt say the T case is the problem. Id say its the tranny needing a rebuild. Hurts to hear but its usual for the 5r55e to fail around this mileage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a 4R70W, not a 5R55E.

After listening to the noise I agree it doesn't sound like the CV, but pull the front shaft to rule it out. Maybe the chain is really loose in the TC and is slapping the guides (or maybe the guides have worn down).

If it is the chain, it's a relatively easy fix, although it will require taking the TC down and splitting the case. But after the case is split, its a very fast job.

After listening to the noise I agree it doesn't sound like the CV, but pull the front shaft to rule it out. Maybe the chain is really loose in the TC and is slapping the guides (or maybe the guides have worn down).

If it is the chain, it's a relatively easy fix, although it will require taking the TC down and splitting the case. But after the case is split, its a very fast job.

Well, Once I get better weather I will be pulling down the front shaft and seeing if the noise goes away, AND if there is any wear on the CV / U joints.

If the OD light is flashing and your having shifting issues, I wouldnt say the T case is the problem. Id say its the tranny needing a rebuild. Hurts to hear but its usual for the 5r55e to fail around this mileage.

Hasn't done it since, I drove it 80 miles round trip and no O/D Off light flashing. Just my CEL, Which pointed at the OSS being fault. Transmission fluid doesn't smell burnt, or look burnt. And before the light started flashing that one time, It shifted buttery smooth.

Whoops. SO many variations...

Anyone else wanna add anything? Weather is starting to clear up, so I am gonna pull the Drive shaft soon and inspect the CV joint and what not. I really really really hope that's all it is... Because I really don't want to change out the Transfer case.

But the sound is getting worse though, It does it all the way up to 45mph.

Back