• Register Today It's free!

Over Heating

mxz583

Reaction score
City, State
mt.prospect, il
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 limited
i have a 94 Explorer that will over heat suddenly and than will be normal i have replaceed the water pump, thermostat , rad cap it seems to run fine except for the over heating problem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take it in any mud lately? Clean off the radiator? Clean inbetween the radiator and condenser?

*cough head gasket *cough

Did replacing the Tstat make any difference at all?

I have found that the over flow bottle has a stream of bubbles coming from it i think it has a bad head gasket or a cracked head i have replaced both heads about 5 years ago so i hope they are not crack again

The head shouldn't be cracked unless it got real hot. Hopefully, it's just the head gaskets.

It could also be the radiator is clogged. I ended up swapping a motor once because the radiator shop said my whole problem was a bad head gasket. I swapped motors and the Ex still overheated. They finally rodded out the radiator only to tell me that it was 80% clogged. I have seen Explorers run arround for years with a bad head gasket and not have overheating problems. My neighbor has one and it has had a crcked head gasket for 1 1/2 years now and still runs fine. They just add water every now and then.

some people have replaced t-stats only to have the new one be bad. It might be worth doing a flush and fill, and replacing the t-stat at the same time. Also the cap is probably worth replacing at the same time considering you can get an aftermarket one for around $4 at most auto part stores, and rubber seals tend to wear out after time.

One other thought, I had a cracked fan blade. It was cracked at the hub not actually one of the blades. Everything would spin and look normal, but there wasn't any real force behind it.

fans only really help cooling when you're stopped.

Back