Overcooling symptoms | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overcooling symptoms

X-North

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
Hi.

I want to have your ideas about that overcooling problem.
My gauge needle indicate below normal temp. Between the first line and the letter N of Normal but when I put the heating system its goddamn hot so I only put it on the first blower speed. Thats a good new for the winter that come rapidly but when i put the blower to the coldest setting its still warm. I already changed the thermostat 2 weeks ago and tested the prestone with a normal pomp tools and seems really good to resist extreme cold. Could it be my water pump or only and electric short or loss in my temperature sensor wiring?

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh well mine does the same thing. It does not want to show the correct temp. I have been temped to buy a temp gauge and put it in the hood in a gauge pod.

I dont know how to fix it.

Indeed, my bet would be either the sending unit or the gauge itself. The best way to know for sure would be to connect a scan tool and monitor the head temp sensor. That'll either tell you that it's not coming up to temperature (i.e. thermostat isn't closing) or it will confirm that the gauge is indeed indicating incorrectly and we need to dig deeper to find out why.

-Joe

I have had to replace three in a week because they had bad ones at the parts store

I bought it at UAP-NAPA autoparts of the same guy that work there since around 20 years :) So dont worry about the thermostat.

:)

Does your truck have a heater control valve, the early Explorers did not? You do need to stop the coolant flow to the heater core until the heater is on. Good luck,

I dont put used parts on my turck..and if you get a new one that dont work change your auto parts store :p
Sincerly i never had wong parts with my local part store.

Just because you changed the t stat dosen't mean it it functioning properly.

Does your truck have a heater control valve, the early Explorers did not? You do need to stop the coolant flow to the heater core until the heater is on. Good luck,

I dont think that early have it. I have a 1992..and as I see evan if its in the line of 1991-1994 trucks there was a lot of change between 1992 and 1993 So i have the really first line of explorer truck.

Check under the hood, follow the heater hoses out from the firewall. In one of the two lines there should be a valve with a steel arm and a vacuum hose to it. If you don't have the heater control valve, then you have hot water running through the heater core in the dash full time. Removing that hot coolant will lower the AC temps some. Good luck,

Here's a simple way to troubleshoot the problem without buying parts, or connecting sophisticated test equipment. Unplug the "L" shaped connector from the temperature sending unit. Turn on the electrical system. The gauge should not register any temperature. Now take a jumper wire, and touch the connector to a ground (engine block). You should see the gauge jump all of the way over. Try this, and let us know what you discover.

Check under the hood, follow the heater hoses out from the firewall. In one of the two lines there should be a valve with a steel arm and a vacuum hose to it. If you don't have the heater control valve, then you have hot water running through the heater core in the dash full time. Removing that hot coolant will lower the AC temps some. Good luck,

I think that theres not lot pressure in it so im gonna put a plumber valve on it with a OPEN/CLOSE position. Cut one of the hose...but could you send me a picture of those 2 hoses and indicate on it wich one is Inlet and other Outlet? Im gonna put the valve on the inlet of heater thank you.

Problem solved it was the temp sensor. But I still want the picture or diagram of inlet and outlet hoses on heather core.

Very good, the repair. Now hunt for the other threads which show the heater control valve being added to the early Explorers. You can easily add the vacuum lines also, just like the stock later vehicles. Good luck,

Here is a link to where one member added a valve. I'm used to the single line block off type of valve. That one is odd, for both lines.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back