• Register Today It's free!

Overhead console differences

CJL

Reaction score
City, State
M
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Is the wiring harness for the overhead with and without sunroof control different?

I want to use the sunroof console in my non sunrooof XLT to mod the switch part.

There is a larger ground wire, and a new large power wire in the switched versions. They use the same connectors, and that "A" pillar harness is short.

There is a larger ground wire, and a new large power wire in the switched versions. They use the same connectors, and that "A" pillar harness is short.

Can you explain the bold part a little more?

Long story short,it will be plug and play?

Yes, it runs from the base of the pillar area up to the console and the overhead lights, mirrors etc. Your truck has that harness, but the trucks with a sunroof have the extra power wire and bigger ground wire. The wires can be changed, the trick is to reach the bottom connector of that harness, it may be next to the dash. It's been a few years since I did my truck rebuild.

Okay, here are two views showing the issue you will have. The first shows where the harness runs down next to the dash out of reach. In the second you can see where it goes.

See the black connector on the ground, look to the bottom left, up above the larger connectors. It has about 10-12 wires in that black pillar harness connector. That is the body harness shown there on the ground, that all connects from the left of the dash, to the door jamb and the dash harness connector(inside the dash).

I don't think you can reach the pillar harness connector where it is next to the dash. See how far up in the dash you can reach along the left side, where the fuse panel is. I'd say the connector is within six inches of the fuse panel or very close to it.

Attachments

• Projectthread092.JPG
    Projectthread092.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 176
  • Projectthread078.JPG
    Projectthread078.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 181

Back